The Millionaire's Mistress & the Dilemma

Start from the beginning

She pushed the door with the cursive C on it open and stopped there, "Mr. Cruise...another applicant."

I felt my heartbeat pick up to approximately the speed of a running cheetah. Something was about to go down and I wasn't really sure what, it could either be really good or really bad.

Joan gave me a gentle shove into the room and then closed the door, leaving me all alone with the heartbreakee.

He seemed confused upon seeing me, "What do you want?" He growled while turning back to his computer.

I took a few steps closer so that I was only a foot or so away from his glass desk. He must have remodeled the place. It looked nice, "I'm sorry. I really am, but from one friend to another, I really need a job."

He seemed amused as he pushed himself away from his desk and came to a standing position, "Huh...that's funny, I didn't think we were even friends anymore. I'm pretty sure you didn't want even that. Why should I help you and why did you even bother coming here?"

I sat down in one of the leather chairs whether I was invited to or not and tried as hard as I could not to start crying. It happened anyway, "My grandma's dying," I sobbed while burying myself in my jacket. "Once she's gone, I have nothing. I thought you could help me. I won't blame you if you don't want to though," I started to dry heave, "I miss you," I whispered.

I was scared to look up and see how he was reacting to this. I was amazed when I did see that he looked concerned and empathetic. He came over to me and kneeled down at my side, placing a reassuring hand on my knee, "I'm always going to try to help you, Violet. Whether or not you push me away though is entirely up to you."

I slid off the chair and threw my arms around his neck. After a second he wrapped his arms around my waist, "I'm scared," I admitted quietly. "I've never been all alone before."

"You're not going to be all alone," he combed my ever growing, blonde hair with his fingers. I found that oddly comforting. "You have Reyna and Howard and...me."

"They don't talk to me anymore," I let my arms fall to my side as I gently laid my head down on his chest, his arms still securely around my waist.

"Why not?"

"I don't know. They won't talk to me," just as I thought I might finally stop crying, I remembered something, "They admitted her into the hospice ward. I want to go see her," I tried to stand up but Austin pulled me back down. "Come with me."

"What?"

"Come with me. I'm sure she'll want to see you one last time."

+
+
+

"How are you feeling?" Austin asked while handing grandma a card and putting a bouquet of white chrysanthemums on her bedside table. They were her absolute favorite.

I held Sienna in my arms. She was getting big, almost a year old now. One month to go.

"As good as one could hope for," she said slowly, seeming out of breath. There was a small gleam of hope in her eyes upon seeing Austin and Sienna in this small room. "I heard...about your divorce." Austin was about to say something but grandma decided to speak again instead, "Take care," she closed her eyes, "Of Violet. Keep her out of trouble."

I put Sienna down on the chair over in the corner and raced over to my grandma, eyes all wet. "Grandma?" I asked. The beeping machine was getting softer and softer. "Grandma!" I screamed.

One straight line showed up on the monitor and I threw myself to the floor. Austin was at my side in a second. "Vi," he reached out to pull me up but I slapped him away.

I wanted to scream, but the only thing that came out were loud cries.

Sienna started to bawl, not for the same reason as me. She was probably just scared. Austin seemed torn between which one needed comforting more.

Doctors and nurses came rushing into the small room and tried to push us out. Austin grabbed Sienna before trying to pull me off the floor. I wanted to stay right here forever. "Vi, get up," he grabbed my hand and tried to move me but failed miserably again.

Some nurse man scooped me into his arms and carried me out of the room, Austin following behind quickly.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

So I have the next chapter written up already and I'll post it as soon as I get 4-5 votes. I also love hearing from you guys so leave me a comment.

There's a new character introduced in the next chapter if that helps...