Order

We never made it back to Sparky.

She had just come into view, sitting on the topmost branch of the old cedar tree we had placed the flag upon.

Suddenly, a flash of white burst through the clearing, and a mantic, high pitched laughter rang out.

When the light faded, Reyna was trapped in a glowing bubble of white light.

Before I knew my sword was even in my hands, it was coming down in a deadly arch on the sphere of light.

But my sword skittered off the bubble harmlessly.

We had pulled our hoods up earlier, just before coming to find Sparky, and tucked our wings into our cloaks. It was a bit uncomfortable to have our wings folded against our backs and covered by the cloak, but it was even more uncomfortable to hit your wings on trees.

Reyna's face was barely visible under her hood, but I caught a glimpse of a steely look that I knew masked fear.

"Gods dammit!" I shouted and hit the bubble as hard as I could. My fist connected with a sickening crack and pain flared through my hand. I knew I had broken it, but I didn't care.

A young girl in old fashioned white robes stood in the middle of the clearing. Her skin was as white as clouds, and her hair and eyes were a ghostly pale. She smiled, and it chilled me to the bone.

"Hello, dear Angels. I presume you are the warriors my brother is so fond of?" The young girl chimed.

Brother... Holy Chaos! This was Order! Oh schist.

"Let her go you bitch." I hissed. I was seriously considering charging her when Shadow grabbed one of my arms and Siren the other, holding me in place.

"I wouldn't talk like that, little Angel. And I have no intention of letting the girl go. She is my bait. My leverage. If Chaos is truly so fond of you, then he can come and get her." Order said in a sickeningly sweet voice.

I muttered some very nasty curses and cast one more glance at Reyna.

Her face was bloodlessly pale, but he was determined not to show any emotion whatsoever. Besides hatred.

But I could see through her mask. She was terrified.

So I took a deep breath and steeled my own nerves before prying Shadow and Siren's hands off my arms. Then I stepped forward determinedly towards Order.

"I don't think so. Take me instead." I offered.

Order laughed again.

"And why would I do that, little Angel?" She asked.

"Because I am far more important. Do you know who I am?" I asked coldly and slowly unfurled my black wings. I yanked my hood off and lit my palms afire with shadowfire.

"I am the shadowfire user, the black winged one. I am Prince of the Universe, heir to Chaos. I am Nico di Angelo, the Archangel." I said with steely determination.

Reyna was pounding on the sides of the bubble.

"Chaos damn you, Nico! Stop it! Run, go now! Get away from her!" Reyna shouted as loud as she could.

Order's grin widened.

"I will take you up on your offer, Archangel. My brother will surely come for his heir, after all. I will quite enjoy seeing you break." Order said happily.

Reyna was crying now.

"Stop it! Nico, please!" She cried.

I turned back to her once and put my hand against the sphere. Reyna put her hand up and pressed it against mine.

"Please don't do this. Please." She begged.

I shook my head sadly.

"I have to, Reyna. I have no choice. I love you." I said and gave her a sad smile.

Then I turned and walked back to Order. She held out her hand and I reluctantly grabbed it.

Then we disappeared in a flash of blindingly white light.