Go Fish

Four Hundred Years Later...

That day, we were sent to a distant planet somewhere in the Odivian Region. Millions of Light years away from the Milky Way. No, even further.

It was a strange planet, one where the ground was made up of a rocky, volcanic, glass-like surface. The sky was blood red, and the people were even stranger. They were the Οι άνθρωποι της λάβας. 'People of The Lava'.

Their skin was a dark red, their hair was flames. Their eyes glowed a color similar to molten lead. But they were powerful, and our allies, so my squad, The Angels of Chaos, were stationed here.

We were here to protect the natives who lived here, a small tribe of maybe two dozen, from some of the monsters that lurked on this dangerous planet.

The most dangerous ones were large creatures that looked like giant, hairy rabbits.

If rabbits had fangs as big as stalagmites and claws sharp enough to shred someone into mutant rabbit dinner and breathed poison. And spit acid.

But right now the Angels of Chaos were sitting around a low table, wings spread and cloak hoods down, playing cards.

I had hand chosen a few gifted warriors from all over the galaxy.

The youngest was a girl of twelve, nicknamed Sparky, since she was a daughter of Zeus. And the fact that he had this super cool thing she did with lightning. She had strikingly golden blonde hair, and electric blue eyes.

Then there was a boy of fourteen, nicknamed Siren. He was, quite literally, a siren. If he sang, you did what he wanted you to do. If he wanted you to go fling yourself off a cliff, all he had to do was sing. If he wanted you to drown yourself, all he had to do was sing. He was freakishly pretty, in a strange way. His skin was a waxy white, his hair a blonde so pale it was white, and his eyes were a pale, faded, washed out gold.

Then there was a boy of fifteen, nicknamed Shadow. He was my third in command. His special ability was something eerily similar to my father's Helm of Darkness. Shadow's gift worked best in small groups, and just by glaring at them he could show them their worst terrors, enough to stop their hearts. He was a Shadow Daemon, hence his nickname, and his skin was an ashen grey. His hair was midnight black, and his eyes were too.

Then there was Reyna.

Oh gods, she was terrifying.

And pretty. And funny. And my girlfriend.

We had both been immortalized at sixteen, and she still had that lending-strength thing she could do in life or death situations. But now she was even more terrifying.

The silver band running thinly around the rim of her hood and wrists signaled her as my second in command. She had proved to be gifted with not only her powers as a daughter of Bellona, but they had multiplied greatly, so she could actually influence your thoughts.

Freaking terrifying.

But now we were playing Go Fish, wings spread lazily. Everyone else's wings were indeed an angelic white.

The Lava People were huddled in an Indian-like camp behind us, watching us with curious eyes.

"Got any twos?" Reyna asked.

"Damn it." I muttered and slapped a card down on the table.

Our game was interrupted by a snarl in the distance.

It was very faint, but our heightened senses picked up on it easily.

Reyna bit her lip thoughtfully.

"There are about a dozen of them." She estimated.

I sighed and put down my hand of cards.

"Who wants to get them this time?" I asked.

Sparky frowned.

"Oh, C'mon Archangel. Can't you just shoot some shadowfire at 'em this time? Or better yet, remember what you did on that one of Pluto's moons?" She asked.

Shadow frowned.

"You mean when he killed them all by blowing up one of Pluto's moons?" He asked.

Siren rolled his eyes and stood, throwing his cards down on the table.

"Oh, forget it. I'll sing." He said and stretched. His wings flexed behind him.

He started forward calmly and stopped when he was a short distance away from the monster rabbits.

Then he started to sing.

His singing was eerie, soft and sickeningly sweet. It was... hypnotic, to say the least. I found myself thanking Chaos that his singing only effected the ones he chose.

Especially when the rabbit monsters dove into the river of molten lava, effectively killing themselves.

The Lava People were standing there in shock, watching him with wide eyes.

Suddenly a black mist shimmered into existence, and Chaos stepped through.

All of the Lava People fell to their knees.

"Come, my Angels of Chaos. We are needed elsewhere. There has been an urgent development." Chaos said seriously.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"First? To a meeting with the primordials. Five minutes, then portal to the council room." Chaos answered and stepped back through his black mist, dissipating into it.