One Of Their Own

Three weeks passed, and my injuries healed.

My wings mended, and my wounds closed.

But everyone was tense. Order had not launched an attack yet, but that was the problem.

It was too eerie. Too quiet.

The entire camp was crackling with anticipation.

The Angels were doing better, honestly.

We had been through countless wars, and were actually enjoying this quiet time.

It was late that night, at the Dining Pavilion. The usual chatter was quiet, tense whispers.

But the Angels paid them no attention. Though our hoods were down, it was as though we were secluded. We were the only ones not wound tight as a bowstring.

Sparky snickered.

"Their looking at us like we're from another planet, Siren." She remarked.

Siren elbowed her.

"That's because we are from another planet, doofus!" He said, and we all laughed.

Well, all the Angels laughed. The younger children laughed too, oblivious to the tension in camp. The younger children were the only ones who chattered on, and laughed and played.

Finally, Clairesse spoke up. She banged her goblet down onto the table and glared at the Angels.

"How can you be so calm and happy? Order could launch an attack at any time now! You're here to protect us! So why are so laid back and happy?" She demanded, eyes wild.

I stretched, and I flexed my newly-healed wings, trying to work out a kink in the muscle.

"Its quite simple, actually. Order loves mind games. She's purposely not attacking in hopes that we begin to fight internally. We've been through so many wars, and one side almost always uses this tactic. By being happy and joyful, we defy her. We don't let her get to us. Simple as that." I answered.

"Here. Let me help." Reyna said quietly and rubbed my shoulder, helping me work out that stupid kink.

I sighed.

"Thanks." I replied quietly.

Meanwhile, Clairesse and the other campers stared at us.

"Simple as.. that?" Clairesse repeated incredulously.

"Of course. See? The little kids get it. They don't let the tension bother them." Shadow said, gesturing to the small children that had started a game of tag around the pavilion.

"That's really it?" Percy asked.

I nodded.

"Yep." I said with a shrug.

"It makes sense, in a way. By waging a mental war on us Order is weakening our forces by causing internal bickering. She is fighting us, just not in the physical sense." Annabeth said thoughtfully.

Clairesse smiled then.

"Well, even if its a mental war, we don't lose! So everyone, quit being tense sissies and cheer up! We won't let Order win!" She cheered, and the rest of the crowd cheered with her.

The tense air lifted, and everyone else cheered. Chatter ensumed, and everyone ate happily.

Suddenly, one of the little kids playing tag tripped just in front of us, and started to cry.

It was a little girl, of maybe five. Nobody rushed forward to coddle her, though. She seemed lost in the chatter and joy of everyone else.

Reyna frowned, watching the little girl. The other Angels fell silent, also noticing her. Yet nobody else even spared the little girl a second glance.

Where were her cabinmates? Her siblings? Friends?

I stood, and walked towards the crying little girl. Reyna had gone to Chiron, and was talking furiously, gesturing towards the little girl.

The little girl seemed almost afraid as I approached, and her crying turned to frightened sniffles.

I stretched out a hand to the little girl, and she stared bewildered at my hand.

So instead I picked up the little girl and placed her on my hip.

"What's your name, sweetie?" I asked, trying my best not to frighten her further.

"S-Sunny." The little girl sniffled.

I carried her back over to the table where the other Angels were sitting, and watching. Reyna had returned from talking with Chiron, and she looked furious.

She mouthed, "Unclaimed." To me and gestured towards Sunny.

Now I was furious, too. Who in there right mind wouldn't claim a sweet little kid?

So Sunny sat with the Angels for the rest of dinner, and I think then was when the camp really trusted us. When we accepted one of their own, that they didn't even spare a second glance at.