8: Subtract One

Melanie
The way Dick told me his plan made it seem fool-proof. Just after I left his room and began walking down the hall Jason came up the stairs. I rushed forwards and grabbed his arm and dragged him down the hall into my bedroom.
"You need to leave." I said
"What?" He asked looking confused
"Like get out of Gotham." I said he raised his brows.
"Why?" He asked
"Because Bruce is going to have you arrested." I said
"Bruce is going to call the cops on me?" He says pointing to himself. He smirked a bit and leaned against my dresser.
"No, he's going to do it as Batman. Anonymous tip type thing." I said he scanned me with his eyes.
"You're serious aren't you?" He asked
"Do I look like I'm joking?" I asked he opened his mouth to say something.
"Jason please, you have to go. Just to shake Bruce off of you. He probably won't call it in if you leave." I said he nodded
"If you think it will work." He said "Thanks." He said my door opened and Dick slipped in.
"Don't thank me, thank him." I said gesturing to him.
"You went behind Bruce's back to tell me this?" Jason asks Dick nods. There's silence for a second until Jason sighs.
"Thank you." He says
"You have a way of making thank you sound like drop dead." Dick says
"It's a talent." He says
"Okay guys. Let's just get you down to the Batcave." I said nodding to Jason he nodded.
We opened my door at the worst time possible. Tim just happened to be walking by.
"Shit." Dick sighed
"What're you guys up to?" Tim asks
"We can ask you the same question." Dick said. Good one Dick because walking down the hallway to your home is totally suspicious.
"I'm walking down the hall." Tim said
"So are we." Dick said
"Why did you all come rushing out?" Tim asked
"We were-" Jason shoves Dick out of the way.
"Bruce wants the cops to take me in. Dick and Mel were helping me bail." Jason says
"You're leaving? But why? You just got here." Tim says
"It's either I leave or I go to Blackgate." Jason says Tim's eyes tightened a bit then soften.
"Let me help you." He said looking each of us over.
"Distract Bruce." Jason says
"No need, he's out looking into a lead with Damian." He says
"Then distract Alfred." Jason says
"Alfred wouldn't-" Jason cuts him off
"Just do it Tim." He growls Tim sighs quietly and nods then he headed down the stairs.
"You didn't have to be so mean." I said Jason turned to me and he looked like he was about to snap at me too but his eyes softened.
"Let's just get going." He said pushing past me and Dick. Dick and I looked at each other he shrugged.
***
"You should probably stay out of Metropolis as well.. Y'know just in case Bruce tries to get Clark to take you in." Dick says Jason nods as he gets on his motorcycle.
"If you're out of their jurisdiction they shouldn't be able to take you in." Dick adds.
"I got it Dick." Jason says
"Jason we're trying to help you. How about dropping the attitude for a second." Dick snaps Jason raises his brows
"Wow, I didn't know you had that in you, Dickiebird." Jason says Dick raises his eyebrows.
"Dickiebird? D-Did you just give me a nickname?" Dick asks sounding shocked. Jason gave him a small smile. His eyes flicked to me.
"You stay out of trouble okay?" He said I didn't realize it until Jason leaned over and wiped it away that I was crying. I wiped away a new tear and rolled my eyes.
"I'm sorry, how pathetic is this?" I said the two of them chuckled.
"Stay safe okay?" I said as a tear rolled down my cheek.
"Not in my nature." He said as he kicked his bike to life.
"Well try." I demanded he turned his head looking at me he smirked and wiggled his brows. He put the kick stand back.
"Wait." I said and stepped forward and before he could object I wrapped my arms around his neck. I nuzzled my head into the crook of his neck. I was surprised when his arms wrapped around me pulling me closer.
"I hate to admit it but I'm going to miss you." I whispered
"I hate to admit it too but I'm going to miss you too." He said I squeezed him harder. I titled my head to the side and saw Jason look up at Dick who had misty eyes. He was desperately trying but failing to hide them. Jason gave him a gentle smile. Dick returned it. I knew someday I'd see him again but it didn't feel like that'd be anytime soon.
"Are you going to let me go willingly or does Dick have to pull you off?" Jason asks
"Wait, you didn't pack.. Maybe you should-"
"I've got safe houses Melanie." He said with a chuckle.
"C'mon Mel, he has to go." Dick says I sighed
"See you soon?" I asked as I backed away from him
"I don't know about that Mel." He says I nodded
He puts on his helmet and locks it into place.
"Thanks guys." He says Dick and I nod. He takes off down the path. I sigh and watch after him. Dick wraps an arm around my shoulders.
"Is it bad that I'm going to miss him?" I asked he sighs
"I hope not because I think I'm going to as well."