16: Misleading

Melanie
The next few days are weird.. I heal fast like Jason said I would. The doctors were calling me a miracle case. Not that they thought I wouldn't have made it, they just were amazed by how fast I healed. I was going to leave today.

Jason
The hotel I'd chosen was much too posh for my liking. I didn't mind the all-you-can-eat free breakfast though. I snagged a few pounds of bacon and a few eggs. I took a bagel to-go as I was leaving. I wondered how Melanie was doing. I saw on the news that "Bruce Wayne and his wards were headed down to a business trip". It was my chance to go see Melanie during the day when she wasn't too tired to talk. I hadn't seen her since the night I gave her the pills and to be honest I was curious whether they were working or not.
I dressed in black slim fit jeans, black converse and a red t-shirt with a black leather jacket over top. I went into the garage and got onto my bike. I slung my backpack with my other clothes over my shoulders. I saw a black helmet laying on the bike next to me. I didn't have a helmet that wasn't my red hood so I reached over and snatched it putting it on my head and kicking my bike to life. I pulled out of the parking garage and headed for the hospital.

Tim
Believe me, I know how lucky I am to live the life I do because of Bruce. But, telling the truth I hate these press things he lugs us to. We stood on the top floor of Queen Industries soaking up the press for Wayne Enterprises. Bruce joins Oliver at the small stage. They shake hands for the camera sharing a hidden knowing look. They both looked uncomfortable in their current grey and dark blue suits. They preferred colours like green and shades of black.
Supposedly Oliver and Bruce were merging to develop new computer technology that was super impressive. Of course it would never become available for citizens or corporations.. It'd be sent up into space in secret to the Watch Tower and the project would cease to exist. Oliver and Bruce do this often. The best part? No one questions the wealthy. Bruce and Oliver feed the press and they join us at the side of the stage. Oliver was a handsome blue eyed young millionaire(Oliver Queen/Green Arrow source: CTV's Arrow).
Bruce and Oliver are the quiet bruiting type which makes it hard to find an opportunity to jump into the conversation.
"Awesome press conference guys." They turn. I instantly recognize him. He's one of the nicer more fun Leagers. Wait, actually he's the only Leager like that. Barry Allen, aka The Flash. He's only a few years older than Dick. (Barry Allen/The Flash source material: CTV's The Flash).
"Barry? What brings you to Star City?" Oliver asks but with a hint of annoyance.
"I'm investigating. I can asking Bruce here the same. Another piece of tech for the League?" Barry whispers.
By the looks on Oliver and Bruce's faces.. Barry should sit and get ready for a lecture.

Jason
I will always hate hospitals. The smell the crying family members.. It makes me uncomfortable.
I snuck past the front counter avoiding signing in and headed up in the elevator to Melanie's floor. Her room was at the end of the hall. This hospital must have some kick-ass cleaning crews because this hall was covered in blood and brain matter not too long ago. They even got rid of the bullet holes. Not that I miss, which I don't the billets tend to travel through heads and other parts of the body. I arrived at Melanie's door and checked both ways before pushing myself in through the door.
"Hey Mel-" I stopped the bed was empty and made, the chairs window was open and was that cleaner I smell?
She's gone? My heart dropped did the pills backfire on her? I put my hands through my hair. I pulled out my cellphone and called someone. Someone I knew I could trust..
"Wayne Manor?"
"Alfred?" I said
"Master Jason, I didn't expect to get you on the other line." He says I felt warm by the sound of relief in his voice.
"Just calling to check in, I guess. Have you heard anything on Melanie?" I asked
"Oh, actually she just got here. She headed down to the gym. Shall I tell her you called?" He asks
"No that's okay, Alfred. Is it alright if I pop by? I want to talk to her." I said
"Usually, I'd ask Master Bruce but he's out of town with the other boys. I say in light of recent family drama that him being away is for the best in your benefit." He says I chuckled
"I'll be there soon. Don't tell her I'm coming." I said
"Of course, sir." He says and we hang up.
I turn around and head out of the hospital.
***
I'm pretty sure Wayne Manor beats the White House for security. There's no live security people but there's a lot. There's, Movement sensors, facial recognition scanners, criminal record scan. There's plenty. Being a former Robin.. I know where most of them are. Could I slip in without triggering them? It can be done but it's super hard. Plus, I know the others carry portable pocket monitors so they'll be able to see that I've entered the premises. So with a glorified step across the border I knew existed after stashing my bike and hopping the gate. I could imagine Bruce, Dick, Tim and Damian's faces hours away in Star City. I put them out of my mind and jogged off towards the mansion. I pushed one of the large doors open and slipped in. The mansion was quiet. I had completely forgotten about Titus until now. Damian owned a large black Great Dane. Usually Titus didn't like me. The only person he liked besides Damian and Bruce of course was Dick. Just like his owner he couldn't stand Tim. I was neutral it depended on how his day has been. I didn't think being left alone in a giant house would sit well with him so I guessed he'd be pissed and slipped through the house with ease. I turned the doorknob to the basement pausing to have a listen. There was music playing so I figured Melanie was down there. I opened the door and stepped in shutting it behind me. I went down the stairs and took a peak around the corner. Melanie was sitting on the floor meditating. How she could possibly find her inner peace and all that jazz that I had to do when I was with the All Caste with music playing? I had no idea. Ducra used to swat me with a stick for asking to go to the bathroom.
"Finding that inner peace?" I asked standing behind her she flinched and turned around. Her eyes widened
"Jason?!" She said I gave a little wave.
"I knew you were still here." She said standing up and proceeded to walk over to me. I tried not to notice how good she looked in her tight workout gear.
"I couldn't leave without saying goodbye." I spoke honestly.
"And a thank you for saving my life?" She adds I shrugged "I wouldn't complain if you threw one in."
"How did you clean that mess up anyways?" She asked "Didn't you kill any of them?"
"I thought about what you said.. That I shouldn't add to the body count so I just beat them all up pretty bad and called a guy I know to come help me get rid of them so we could drop them off on GCPD's doorstep." I said which was a lie. I did kill them she just looked so hopeful. She smiled
"There's hope for you yet, Todd." She said there was silence for a moment before she threw her arms around my torso. I hesitated a moment before I placed my arms around her. My cold hands instantly warming due to her warmth. She gave a little sigh of relief tucking her head under my chin.
"I didn't think you'd hug me." She said my brows came together, "Why not?" I asked my chin resting on the top of her head.
"You don't like to be touched." She points out I squeezed her a bit tightly.
"True. I don't mind being touched by you though." I said she leaned back to lock eyes with me.
"What..?" She said
"You heard me." I said
"I want to hear it again though." She says I found myself smirking.
"It's good to want things, Mel." I said a smile tugs at the corner of her mouth.
"What do you want, Jason?" She asked
"What do I want?" I asked she nodded her hands slipping down to a resting position on my chest. My hands clung to her waist. I looked away from her a moment. I bit my lip and glanced back down at her.
"I want a life." I said her brows came together
"A life?" I nodded
"You know, a life where I'm not wanted in a few cities.. A life where everyone I care about couldn't give a damn about me." I spoke honestly her face softens.
"I do." She said lowly
"Huh?" I said
"I give a damn about you." She said I stayed quiet.
"I just wish we could say the same for everyone else in the family. I'm alone." I pointed out
"They do care, you just don't let them show it.." She said I rolled my eyes looking away she grabbed my chin in one of her hands turning my head to face her. "You're not alone." She says. She glances down at my lips and before I could prepare myself she kissed me. I was shocked when she leaned back but then everything clicked and I closed the gap once more. Melanie gripped a handful of my hair tugging. She pushed my jacket off my shoulders it fell in a heap on the floor. She backed into a bench press. Leaning back forcing me to lean over her. I pulled her close. She used the hand that wasn't tangled in my hair to grab a fistful of my red shirt pulling me closer to her. My hands were on her waist and lower back. She locked one of her legs around the back of mine. Months of attraction and tension exploded at once causing an uncontrollable urge to take over me. The need to be close to her was so strong. I hadn't felt it since I was younger.. Since I first met.. I avoid thinking about. It was wrong but I just didn't see it at the time. Melanie tugged harder on my shirt causing me to hear it stretch.
Then, her phone started to ring on the bench beside us.
"Just ignore it." She breathed onto my lips. I did as she said but the ringing was so annoying and persistent. It was killing the mood. I allowed myself to open my eyes and glance down at the caller ID. I sighed angrily and pulled away.
"It's Dick. Answer it. He won't stop." I said stepping away from her. She gave me a puzzled look and reached over and answered it.
"Hey Dick, what's up?" She said
"Jason? No I haven't-" she gasped when I reached over and snatched the phone.
"Hey Bluebird, speak of the devil and he shall appear right?" I said in an aggravated grumble.
"Why are you there?" He asked
"Why? Scared I'll go into your piggy bank tucked under your socks? The better question Dick is why aren't you here?" I said
"I don't follow." He says annoyed
"Oh, I don't know.. She's recently been shot by an evil murdering psychopath. You actually just dialled her number.." I trailed off my free hand tightening into a fist.
"I don't follow you." Dick says flatly
"She needs protection you idiot!" I yelled Melanie flinched
"Oh I'm an idiot? Says the one who broke into the manor and is gunna end up getting his ass thrown into Blackgate for coming back to Gotham!" Dick yells. Melanie's eyes widen letting me know she had heard.
"Oh, this is rich coming from the guy who told me to come back! I'll leave again Grayson but not before I trash your room and make damn sure I give you a reason to come after me so I can knock your big head sideways you arrogant shit." I growled into the phone and hung up. I tossed the phone to Melanie. I headed for the steps of the basement scooping up my jacket on my way by.
*
Trashing Dick's room was all a blur. I was blinded by pure rage. I remember a few things like grabbing a collectable signed baseball bat Bruce had bought him off its stand on the wall and using it to whack all of Dick's academic trophies off his dresser and smashed a few holes in his wall. I used my arm to swat his neat stack of books off one of his tables and ripped the comforter from his bed and threw it into the corner I was leaving the room when the last of my rage got the best of me and I picked up the bat once more and ran towards Dick's balcony doors and swung the bat. Glass exploded everywhere. It got in my hair, down my front I shook the glass from inside my shirt and threw the bat into the corner.
I turned around an saw Melanie in the doorway.
"What..." She trails off "..Who are you?" She asks in disbelief.
"Leaving." I said and walked out of the room knocking shoulders with her. I walked down the stairs quickly. Melanie was hot on my trails.
"Why would you do that? You're just making Alfred's job harder!" She shouts
"No.. Dick won't let Alfred clean that up. It's all on him. I hope he enjoys it." I said walking down the drive.
"I hope you enjoyed yourself. You just took any sliver of hope of you ever returning home and ripped it into shreds. Bruce won't let you come back!" She calls after me.
"Who says I want to come back?" I said stopping and turning around to face her.
"Why did you come here in the first place? Was it to check on me?" She says
"At first it was. But you're just as lost as the others." I said
"Wow.. And everyone thinks Harvey Dent has dual personalities.." She says
"Yeah, well Arkham hasn't had a chance to pick through my brain." I said and turned on my heel.
"I hate you!" Melanie screamed I stopped in my spot. I was brought back into reality what was I doing? I turned
"Melanie I-"
"Shut up! You're a monster!" She screamed grabbing a handful of gravel from the drive and throwing it at me. She missed the gravel flew by me. She gave me one last tear-filled glare and stomped back to the manor. I knew this time I was finished. I really screwed up this time.
*
I reached my motorcycle and sat down. I sat straddling it for a few moments angry at myself.. Angry with the world. I violently unzipped my backpack and grabbed one of my pistols and pressed it against my temple as tears fell out of my eyes. I keep screwing things up before they can even get good. I lowered the gun. As I thought about Alfred.. Melanie that stupid dog Titus and of course Bruce. I knew me dying was making me just as big as a coward as my father. Not Bruce, but my actual father. I sat on my bike looking down the log driveway. I could just make out the manor. I looked to my other side to the road. What would Bruce and the others say if they pulled up and found me on the road? Probably would phase them. I looked back down at the gun.
I thought of my failures. There was a bigger quantity than my successions. I squeezed my eyes shut more tears dropped down onto the cold metal chamber of the pistol in my hands.
"Stop crying." I muttered to myself
"Stop crying, dammit." I grumbled I choked out a sob.
"I'm sorry." I whispered as I quickly raised the gun to my temple and squeezed the trigger.