A Distant River Runs Again

Start from the beginning

"Otokichi-san is back!"

"Really?!"

"Let's go, c'mon!"

"Otokichi-saaan!"

"We missed you!"

Around 6 kids came out to greet the priest, running past Sakami who stood off to the side. They were of all ages and seemed to miss you. It seemed that Sakami was very good at hiding you. They all crowded around him.

"Otokichi-san! Where did you go? Did you bring something back?"

"Otokichi-san, look what I made!"

"What's this called again?"

A laugh rumbled in his throat. "Hello, children. I'm glad to see you're alright. Though, where is Takamoto?"

The other children's mood seemed to dull down. "He's inside as always." One child replied. The blind priest hummed.

"I did bring back something, or rather someone."

The children lit up in excitement. "Someone's joining us?" The children cheered.

"Come out [Name], it's alright." His voice was directed towards Sakami. The children looked at her expectantly.

You timidly looked around Sakami, your big eyes peeking out. Shyly stepping out. "Hi..."

The kids blinked before crowding around you, their eyes sparkling.

"Your names [Name] right? That's a cool name!"

"Oh, you're so adorable!"

"We're glad that you could join us!"

Yeah! You're going to love it!"

You just stared at everything with wide eyes.

"Hold it! We don't need another person!!"

A loud cry came from the building. They came closer, their aura giving off a feeling of frustration and anger.

"Ah Takamoto, it's good to see you." Otokichi smiled kindly.

He glared at Otokichi. Pushing his way through the tiny crowd, he came up in your face. He had tussled dark brown hair and grey eyes, looked older than you, maybe around 7-8 years old. "We don't need another person here! Go away!"

You froze. Sakami frowned, stepping in front of you. "Come on Takamoto, don't be like that." He huffed and stomped away.

"Sorry about him, he really is a nice boy but is pretty stubborn."

You nodded. Still feeling numb to everything.

----------

Ever since you joined, the children have been nothing but kind to you. Except for Takamoto.

It's been a few days, yet you refused to eat much. You stayed in your shared room for most of the day. If you weren't there, you would be outside, tending to the garden. The kids would often bring you the meals if you didn't show up. You never told them what happened to you, and you stayed by your lonesome. All of the children were orphans. Some were left on the road, others were abused and kicked out/ran away, or their parents had died. But you never learned about Takamoto. Today he was giving you breakfast, as you had refused to get out of the room.

"Oi, here's breakfast." He plopped the tray down. There was a bowl of rice and soup. "Eat."

"I don't want it." You replied solemnly, your dull eyes avoiding his sharp gaze.

He growled. Takamoto grabbed the chopsticks and scooped up some rice. He then grabbed your jaw, forcing it open, and shoved the chopsticks into your mouth. You flinched.