Chapter Twenty-Three: Please, Kiss Me {Ellie}

Silence is all that can be heard as we sit in the livingroom, each of us lost in our thoughts about the events that just occurred. Another pang of mixed anger, humiliation, and sadness comes over me.

Keenan really came to the gas station. He hurt me. Cole was going after him...

I let my eyes drag to the man in question, who now sits in the recliner with his head down and his hands clasped, still clearly pissed off. Sebastian gets my attention next, picking up and answering his phone as he sighs.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'll be there in a few, baby." He faces us, pausing. "I'm going to pick up Taylor. Scarlet, you wanna come with me?" She nods, patting my leg softly.

"You'll be okay here?" she asks. I nod, looking at Cole again.

Even though I can practically see the steam coming out of his ears, I know he'd never be angry enough to hurt me. I also know that he looks beautifully raging as he sits in the chair, still silent. Sebastian and Scarlet exit the house, and I hear the car start up outside.

The silence grows and my heart begins breaking all over again.

Why won't he just leave me alone?

"Why didn't you let me beat the shit out of him?" Cole snaps, startling me. I jolt, looking at him. Tears already threaten to spill over and I feel the lump forming in my throat. "Why didn't you let me? Hmm? I could've ended it. He'd never have messed with you again." I stay silent. I don't have the words for Cole. I jump as he suddenly swears loudly, standing from his position. Pacing around, it's clear that the more he thinks about it, the angrier he gets. Much like the more I think about it, the sadder I get.

I try like hell, but the tears spill over anyways.

"Cole," I beg. He's just making it worse. Eyes turning to mine, Cole pushes himself toward me. I'm taken by surprise when he pulls me to stand, pulling me into his embrace. One arm laces around my waist, a band of iron that keeps me from escaping. The other buries into my hair, his cheek pressed against my temple. His jaw grinds, but I don't mind.

"I'm sorry," he says. "I don't mean to scare you. I just... Fuck. I want to tear him apart."

I don't have any more words, so we stand in silence. As we both calm down, I begin to notice different things. Like the way Cole's heart pounds in his chest, so loud I can hear it from even a few inches away. Like the way he smells of something strangely masculine and woodsy, something that wraps around me and makes me forget that Keenan exists. My own heart begins slamming against my rib-cage, taking my breath away.

Cole pulls away slightly, forcing me to look up at him.

"I'll leave it alone. I don't want to make things worse, so I'll leave it alone. But the second you give me the go ahead, I'll end him." I smile softly, thankful. Nodding, I focus on Cole's eyes. Gray orbs that seem to glow suck me in, his eyes boring into mine intensely. I can't help it, my eyes drop to his lips. They seem so inviting... so alluring...

Suddenly, they're closer.

Cole inches closer, taking his sweet time. My heart begins pounding so hard I'm sure it's about to burst out of my chest. I'm sure he hears it, too, because his grip tightens on my waist, his eyes moving to my lips. I lick them on instinct, my cheeks heating up.

His teeth tug his lip into his mouth, biting softly as he still stares at my lips, eyes now hooded and focused. An ache begins spreading through me.

God, is Cole going to kiss me?

I want Cole to kiss me.

Please, kiss me.

At the last second, Cole seems to back out, his eyes shifting toward the door as a pair of keys jingle just outside. His jaw locks as he sighs. My heart hammers, and my mind only repeats one mantra.

Cole and I almost kissed. Cole and I almost kissed. Cole and I almost kissed.

I bring my blushing gaze up to Scarlet and the others that enter only a moment later, who stands with a smug smile on her face. I let my eyes drift to Cole, but he doesn't look flustered. He looks angry again, only I'm sure this time it's for being interrupted...right?

Wait, did Cole even want to kiss me?

As if hearing my thoughts, Cole's gray eyes flash to mine, more intense than I've ever seen them.

My face burns and I'd appreciate it if a hole opened up and swallowed me whole right about now. One can only dream, though, as I'm left standing in my frazzled state as the rest of the group begins gathering in the livingroom for a movie. I'm floored when I realize the only two available spots are on the love-seat, and only Cole and I remain standing.

They all did this on purpose, I know they did.

Cole takes a seat, spreading his legs wider slightly, stretching out in his spot. With burning steel eyes, he looks up at me, jaw set and lips drew back into a playful smirk. Reaching over, he pats the seat next to him. Hesitating, I stay still, before he tilts his head slightly, a warning.

I move to sit beside him, feeling like my entire body has been ignited with fireworks and bombs and butterflies and all kinds of feelings of euphoria.

As I get comfortable, I spy Scarlet looking at me, still reeling at the fact that she almost caught us about to kiss. I'm lucky Cole heard them at the door, or else they'd have walked in at a terrible moment.

Cole is silent as I move my eyes to his, a knowing glint there as he survey's the crimson on my cheeks. He seems to like my blushing, and honestly, I don't really mind the fact that he makes me blush this hard.

It's nice to be turning red for a good reason for once.

__________