Chapter One: Where I Go, Assholes Follow {Ellie}

"Come on, Ellie. The second load is here," Sebastian toys with my hair as he exits, the door staying wide open behind him so we can carry more stuff inside. The new house is larger than I'd thought. The movement of the boxes and furniture has begun to make it feel smaller, but it's still enormous compared to the dorms.

"That's Ellie's," Scarlett's voice arises as I turn the corner, exiting the house and stepping outside.

A boy who I've never met before picks up the box, strutting toward me. His jaw is clenched; he looks angry for some reason. Gray eyes pierce through my soul as he glances at me, cold and calculating.

And then he's past me and into the house, large form stalking right by me as he trudges forward. I glance at Scarlett, raising a brow.

"Who's that?" I question.

"That's Cole, Sebastian's friend. He offered to help move," she answers, grabbing another box. I nod, moving to grab the next, shifting it lower so I can see as I make my way to the kitchen.

For hours, this cycle continues. The four of us unload the truck, moving things in the house while the driver goes to get another load of bought and stored furniture, and then we unload it again. It lasts for the better part of the day, and Scarlett and Sebastian look as tired as I feel by the time we're nearing completion.

The man, Cole, hasn't spoken, nor have I seen him much. He's been relatively invisible, I realize.

I'm jolted from my thoughts as my phone dings, my mood depleting instantly. Scarlett pauses next to me, sitting the box down on the plastic-covered couch.

"Him again?"

"Probably," I tell her, moving towards it and unlocking the message. The number is new, and it makes my belly drop and my heart ache instantaneously.

You didn't tell me you were moving, Eleanor. I like the new house. Looks cozy.

"Ellie," Scarlett says. She always has a way to tell when his messages get to me, always knows it's him before even I do. Scarlett begins to move toward me when she's interrupted.

"You going to move sometime today, blondie?" The man, Cole's, voice is hard, much deeper, huskier than I had thought. I don't dwell on him, nor his rudeness. I've got bigger fish to fry... like the tears welling behind my eyes as my throat clumps.

"Sorry," I mutter, excusing myself and making for the bathroom. He's quick to move when he sees the puddles forming in my eyes, confused as Scarlett moves to follow me.

I see his frown as Scarlett closes the bathroom door behind us, pulling the phone from my hand gently. I keep my eyes glued to the floor, embarrassed.

How pathetic she must think I am.

"He's such a fucking asshole. I'm sorry, Ellie." Scar's arms pull me into her embrace, and I'm hugging her back in no time, smaller form against me as she tries to comfort me.

"What can I say?" I give a humorless laugh. "Where I go, assholes follow." Her arms give me a squeeze, and I reign in the tears, despite the lump aching in the back of my throat. "He's already found our new address, Scar. We haven't even been here for a single night yet."

"Come on," she says. "Paint on that perfect smile of yours and let's go get this shit done. Then we'll pig out in the livingroom and have a movie night."

Her words cheer me up quickly, and I grin as she holds me at arms-length, smiling. Giving me one last squeeze, she turns, opening the door.

Just as we begin to move into the living room, Sebastian's voice stops us.

"There you two are," he says. "Cole said you were upset. What's going on?"

"Nothing, just same old bullshit with my mom." The lie is quick off my tongue. He begins to speak again, but I interrupt, feeling guilty but also unable to talk about this with him. "That guy, Cole? How do you know him?"

Seb grins, and I let out a sigh of relief. I've distracted him successfully. Even though Scar told me a little about Cole earlier, I listen intently to Sebastian, not wanting to give away my lie.

"We train together. I'm technically his 'coach' during his fights. He gets in and gives the punches and we split the dollars." He winks, and I roll my eyes, smiling.

"He's kinda... pushy."

"Yeah, he's just pissy about this guy we go to the gym with. Ignore him," Seb rolls his eyes, laughing. When I nod, Seb hooks an arm around my shoulders, leading me back out to the box-covered living room.

I sigh, seeing the truck still loaded down with boxes. We continue to unload the boxes and by the time we finish moving everything in, we're all clearly exhausted. I almost forget about the Devil Spawn's messages until Scarlet hands me my phone, the number from earlier blocked already.

"What movie do you want to watch, Ellie?" Seb distracts me, grinning widely as he plops down beside me on the couch.

__________