CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

Start from the beginning

I rolled my eyes as he grabbed his car keys, and he opened the front door, letting me walk out while he did the alarm system and followed me to his car. He turned on the ignition after we snapped on our seatbelt and pulled out of the driveway. Once he got onto the road, I turned on the radio, hearing Toosie Slide by Drake playing. I liked the beat, so I found myself dancing in the seat.

It didn't seem to take long for Terrell to get to the walking trail as he parked, and we stepped out of the car.

"Hold on, take me a picture," Terrell stated, taking his cellphone out of his grey sweats as he handed it over to me. He posed by looking at the ground with his hands inside of his pocket. He wore a white fitted tee, grey sweats, and a pair of all-white new balance sneakers.

"Not you, lookin' like an Instagram baddie," I teased him, snapping pictures of him hitting the pose. I laughed at him, mean-mugging me as I gave him back his phone to see them. "It's cute?"

He nodded, putting his phone in his pocket as he put in his AirPods. I wasn't a fan of it as I placed my headphones on and pressed play on my Spotify playlist. I held the water bottle in my hand as we walked up the trail. I already knew that this was going to be a workout. I could already imagine the soreness in my legs.

The weather wasn't too bad at seven something in the morning. It was a bright and sunny day with a slight breeze blowing in the air that seemed calming and relaxing--making it a perfect day to go walking on a trail. The sound of Rae Sremmurd's voice in No Type gave the perfect vibes while I concentrated on breathing as I walked. I turned my head, glancing at Terrell, who was mouthing lyrics of some song. He looked so deep into the song as a small smile appeared on my face.

The walking trail was steep and high as I could feel sweat forming on my forehead. If we were going somewhere after getting breakfast, I was going to have to take another shower.

I sang along to the song I Like It by Cardi B from my summer vibes playlist. I don't know why the song reminded me of the summer, but I was enjoying it as I continued to walk on the trail. I'm guessing that we were going all the way to the top as I uncapped the top of the water bottle and took a sip of the cold water. It tasted so refreshing at this exact moment.

"Breanna?" Terrell tapped my arm.

I pressed pause on my phone, looking up at him as I continued to drink the water.

"Hmmm?"

"Don't it feel good out here?" He asked, looking at me with a smile as he uncapped his water bottle and drank his water. "They say that walking is helping whenever you're going through something mentally,"

I figured that Terrell wanted me to come with him on the walking trail to help me mentally, especially after hearing my story. I didn't fault him for it because it was keeping my mind off of work and trying to build my career.

"It does feel good," I agreed, topping my water bottle up. I glanced at the trail ahead of us as we were close to reaching the top. "I see why you wanted me to come here. It's the right time to go because it's not cold and it's not hot,"

"Yeah," Terrell replied, drinking more of the water as we continued to walk on the trail. "I needed this too. Sometimes, I think about my life outside of my career. Like, I'm a twenty-two-year-old bachelor with no relationships and got nothing figured out aside from my career. Some days I'm okay with being single and having my freedom to do whatever I want to do and other days like today, I find myself worrying about having my own family and someone to come home too,"

Wow, I never expected to hear that from him. I wondered if guys that were around his age had the same thoughts of wanting to settle down but yet not wanting to be in a relationship.