Night of Lies Pt (1) Welcome to The Night.

Inhale.

Exhale. 

That is all Lincoln knew how to do as the clock ticked away. It was only 30 minutes until the clock was to strike Twelve, then it was time for the Night to begin. It scared him half to death that soon he would be apart of something so life threatening at only the age of 18.. and must go through it alone. The waiting process of this worldwide event was agonizingly stressful. Especially for a child who just moved from his parents home, due to the laws that were put in place. The Law clearly states that an 18+ child mustn't live at home with their parent and/or guardian. This is so that they can find their own spouse, and be married by age 21. If not married by age 22, you will be put into the Arena's battle, and if you slay the contestant they put you against.. you will go on to live another year. If not...? Well.. you must say good bye to the life you know.

Why such an inhumane law? It is because the Earth is running low on non-toxic Oxygen due to the Apocalypse. The atoms were destroying themselves due to molecular changes from gastric leaks that burned into the air, the multiple wars that had taken place before and after the Apocalypse bringing the Earth to ruin. Humans thirst for blood and the greed of land and money, caught up to them. So now the air was screwed, and so was the population and chances of human life going on for more than a 100 years. Unless population control was mandated. The only place safe from the poisoned world is The Arena, and the Arena can only fit but so many people in its few mile radius before running low on oxygen for everyone else. To rid of most of the people, they wait for the Night of Monday which is also known as the Night of Death. The Night of Death means anyone at any age will die on sight by the Lord of Arena's Henchmen. 

By the time it was only a minute away from the Twelve, Lincoln already had talked himself in and out of a panic attack.  It was only 1 minute left before the longest night of his life was to begin. Yet he was already dreary eyed, stressed.. and fully ready to sleep the week away. He couldn't though, he needed to be very alert for the first night.. The Night of Lies. Any messages coming through, any niceties, anything.. could be a lie, a set up, a make belief. And he couldn't stay off guard. The Night of Limbo is when you may rest. For now he'd stay awake, his life may depend on it. 

Finally the clock struck Twelve and the grand bells of Rogue County sang its song. A week of hell was beginning, and that fear shook Lincoln's soul. No one was here.. not yet. Out of nervousness, everything he heard sounded like danger. Even the whistling of the wind and the rustling of the trees. He was very noise sensitive, even if he heard just a leaf slap against his window, he would swiftly pull out his army knife and point it in the direction of the sounds he heard. All his hairs on the back of his neck stood proud, the eerie silence proving too much for him. The quiet was so piercing, and the air was thick with stale trepidation of what the future holds. Lincoln prayed, hoping the fates would go easy on him on the first day.

He wanted to run away from it all, but running wouldn't help him, because he'd be running directly into trouble.  So he stayed there on his sofa, like a scared sack of potatoes, waiting by the phone for his parents to call. Knowing his mother was more than likely itching to call him but his father didn't want her to be overbearing. 

Lincoln clacked his feet together, anxious about the scratching he thought he heard at his door, but amidst him calming himself down, he chopped the noises he heard up to his nerves. He knew nothing lived in these parts, why would someone be outside scratching at him? He decided to wait and see how things turned out.. then as if time couldn't be perfect enough, his phone rang. Seeing his mothers number pop up on his screen with her beautiful photo, causes a smile to appear on his face, relieved that she called. It is like all his worries began to fleet away into the wind. "Mother!" Was Lincoln's cry sounding like that of a 9 year old boy who got lost in a shop without his parents. 

"Lincoln! Are you alright?!" She exclaimed, and how her voice wavered, you can tell she was frightened for her sons life.

"It has only been 5 minutes and your mother has been freakishly scared. Don't fret though my boy, I know you have it all under control.. I know you do." His father said immediately after the mothers question. 

Lincoln didn't want to disappoint his father nor worry his mother.. by telling them both the truth.. He was terrified. So instead he lied, straight through those pearly white teeth. 

"I am doing just fine mom! It is only 5 minutes! Why would I.. I.. be scared? Don't worry I'm fine! It is only the Night of Lies, things are fine." He knew he was lying to them and to himself, even if he was just trying to assure them he was okay.. he sunk deeper into fear as he kept spilling untruths. Hey, it is the Night of Lies though, what is the harm of dipping into what this night was made for? 

The knocking and scratching began becoming louder, and didn't want his mother to hear, knowing his mother may have a heart attack of she had known. "I have to jet guys, I love you!" Lincoln spoke so quickly it was barely audible to his parents what words just sped out of his mouth. He knew that they would think he is alright due to the hours of training they gave him when he was but a boy. They taught him to be strong and never once has he failed that. So with that being said and done he was on his feet, checking out the window closest to the door and he could have sworn he saw a deep dark figure in his window. 

He knew he was probably seeing things due to the high end stress he was feeling, probably was a part of hyperventilation. He needed to know what was on the outside of his home so that he can just relax and realize the sound was probably a squirrel. So he opened the window and yelled, "Who is out there?! Come out wherever and whoever you are!" He had gained a lot of gut to say that, but just in case someone had an arrow or a dagger, he closed the window back and awaited a response. Soon thereafter, he heard a quiet voice that was a bit hoarse as well. "I am a man. I am not hungry nor thirsty. I am completely healthy. I am not hurt. I don't need help! I am going to kill you!" 

Surely a real bad guy wouldn't give away his plan.. but he realized the voice was soft and sultry, the way that the words still had some sort of dance, he knew it was a woman. Then he realized.. since it is the Night of Lies, everything that was said had the possibility of being a lie. Which meant that whoever was on his doorstep needed help. He was skeptical at first but stepped up to the plate and opened the door, and there in front of him was a girl, about age 19, curled into a tight ball. Where skin was visible, you can bet on it being covered in multiple scars and blood patches. Was this what was happening to people out side his home? Even if it is only the first night? The girl looked up at him, snapping him out of his thoughts, and a crooked smile on her face. 

"Welcome to The Night." She whispered, before she passed out below Lincoln. He was frightened by the sight of her.. but isn't that what the night is all about?

---- First chapter Night Watchers!!! I hope you enjoyed it!---- Vote and Comment~!