one

APPARENTLY, IT WAS NOW our job to keep them as pets.

Edward Anthony Masen Cullen had been their first child, so their inevitable preference on him above all their other children seemed something expected to Jasper Hale – however, he honestly thought they would cover up their little preference better. That didn't happen: you could see from a mile away that Edward was the first and favorite amongst five children: he was the prodigy handy son who played the piano, actually combed his hair and had a natural charisma that made him very approachable to humans. It probably helped that he had a lovely gift related to mind reading. Esme and Carlisle just couldn't stress how proud they were of their first creation. Jasper had seen this preference many times in his past and considered it dangerous. And even though the blond knew his brother wouldn't hurt a fly, it was his pet that bothered him.

Jasper was okay with feeding from humans. After all that was everything he knew until he met Alice and joined the Cullen clan. It was hard to consider them a family because they were no family to him; even though they had changed the majority of their members, Jasper had joined centuries later. They hadn't been there for him for the first one hundred and twenty years of his life. He had started this new lifestyle about fifteen years ago, which felt like a month in vampire years.

The Cullen's had a very no-no rule about using humans as blood bags, so Jasper had now been turned into a vegetarian. It wasn't exactly his choice; it had been more of a strong want to stay with Alice rather than pure kindness towards humans. Jasper Hale was okay with hunting only animals and he was definitely okay with hiding away from humans – however, he wasn't okay at all with a human joining them for lunch at school. School was already hell, so why would they make it worse?

'Is that all you wanted to say?' Edward asked him, letting out a small laugh as he scavenged through his thoughts with his stupid, powerful gift. He could go to hell for all Jasper cared; he liked his siblings enough to stand them, but he didn't exactly love them (and that included Alice) and wasn't keen on this idea of having a human around at all even though everyone said she was part of the family now. A human carrying their secret was like a time bomb ready to explode.

Isabella Swan joined Forks Highschool a year ago. She came to Forks to live with her father, the town's sheriff (which wasn't, of course, dangerous for the Cullens...) and had been sitting next to Edward Cullen in Biology class for a while until they started seeing each other. She had a sob story that apparently Edward could relate to. Isabella was pale and dull, a little human with no personality, no facial expression and absolutely nothing interesting to say. After all, she was a human. Yet Edward seemed to love her and had begged and begged and swore that Bella, as everyone called her, was his soulmate.

At first, Jasper and Rosalie (probably the only two vampires in the family who had braincells left) didn't understand. The first few months were hard, but she was so dull and so boring that neither of them cared at this point. One year later, Bella was still with Edward, still human, still spending a lot of time in their house and she was still the same dull girl he had met one year ago. Now Rose didn't care about her and Jasper ignored her presence much to Alice's dismay. His wife loved the human.

Jasper just knew Edward was messing around with his thoughts by the way he was scolding him with his eyes, yet he couldn't find a shit to give. He wasn't even thinking that loud and Edward had dozens of humans to bother, so why him? He shouldn't be messing around with his mind anyway.

The bell rang and Bella was still eating; this was why vampires were at the top of the food chain. Humans were too slow, too boring, just too much. Jasper couldn't understand how Edward managed to be around Bella and handle her doing things the mundane way.