"Get my key!" I yelled picking her from the floor as I checked her pulse while Natalie ran to get my keys

"Oh Jesus," I said, picking her from the floor and rushing her out of the kitchen to where the car was parked as regret pumped through my vain's.

I could have let her beat the hell out of Cassie. I thought just as Natalie rushed from within, opened the door and I placed Grace in the backseat.

***
"Is she ok?" I inquired walking down the alley with Doctor Kevin.

Before getting to the hospital, Grace regained consciousness causing a great flow of relief in my body but still, her bleeding continued, a sigh that all was not well.

"She's fine now," He said as we walked into his office. "And the baby is fine."

I stopped with my hands to the door as my brain processed his words. "Baby?"

"Yes Kunle," He said sitting on the black leather chair with his hands folded on the table.

I took the seat before him unsure of what to feel. Happiness or sadness, I was stuck in between as my heart pounded in its caged louder than the bass of music. "No, I am not aware," I whispered.

He picked the top file from those on his desk and handed it to me.

"Are you serious?" I said, staring at the unreadable jargon.

"Yes." He nodded smiling as I pushed the file back to him.

"Can you run this again? Like Now?" I inquired pointing to the file and shaking as it dawn on me. If she was carrying a child then I  nearly killed her and the innocent baby.

My baby.

***

"How is she?" Patrick inquired as I sat between them in the waiting area with my head hung in misery.

"She is fine."

"Cassie is at my house, she will leave Nigeria tomorrow."

"Better because right now, I no won see that girl," I said, shading my eyes with both hands.

"It's not your fault bro," Chris said.

"No I should have let her go wild and crazy on Cassandra, I nearly killed her and my baby."

"Baby?" Patrick inquired.

"You heard it to? Guy you serious?" Chris asked.

"She is pregnant."

"Bravo bro, such hard-working guy," Chris said wearing a smile that heightened my misery.

"Calm down, I am just congratulating you," he said the moment he noticed my glare and my raised middle finger.

"I don't think I can face her."

"Kunle, she knew you didn't do it purposely. You don't have to stress yourself, I am sure she understands," Chris said and Patrick nodded in agreement.

After seconds of silence, I turned to my friend, "Patrick, can you check on her?"

"Sure." He patted my shoulder before leaving Chris and I in the white-painted waiting room which other occupant was a nurse on desk and Natalie who strolled from the restroom to where we sat.

**

Grace

"Where is Kunle?"

"He is in the waiting room going crazy."

"It's not his fault, I slipped," I said sitting straight and feeling an ache on my back and head. "Can I see him?"

"Of course," Patrick said but paused by the door. "He told you we caught the last inmate?"

What?!

I bit down my lips, holding back the shock from Patrick's questions and stuttered, "Ye...yes he did."

"You don't have to worry anymore Grace. You are safe, " he said and I nodded but felt unsafe as I thought about Kunle and all his selfish reason for holding back such information.

***

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to push you." I couldn't help but feel pity towards him as he walked in and kept his distance.

"I know."

"I swear Grace I will never hurt you." 

"I know, see just drop it Kunle."

"What is it, tell me?" With arched brows, he moved from the door to my bedside more alerted than ever.

"Nothing really, I just want to go home."

A smile slowly aligned on his lips as he puffed air and sat beside me. "When the Doctor is done with his check-up I will take you home, Linda is so worried about you... I am worried about you baby."

"You don't get it? I want to go home, to my  house...my old life."

"What do you mean?"

"I am free to leave abi? The last guy has been caught abi? why didn't you inform me?"

"I..."

"Cat got your tongue baby?" I said with a sad smile that went with the feeling of betrayal in my heart... It all started from the kiss he shared with Cassie to the secret he hid and probably more discovery waiting to be unfold.

"I wanted to tell, I just-"

"Maybe if you told me this wouldn't have happened Kunle... The truth is, I want my life back."

"You can't,  you just can't."

"And why is that? Because the almighty Kunle said so?" I tilted my head now smiling sarcastically as the chair lost its balance from the swiftness of him standing and turning his back to me.

Immediately, he turned. "No, because you are carrying my child."

"Wait...What do you mean?" I inquired, slowly.

"Doctor Kevin ran various test and you are pregnant." Each word he said came with the gesture of his hands.

Pregnant.

The 'P' word came with an alarming feeling that suddenly made me sick as blood rushed to my tongue and my trembling lip's. "It just can't be. Not now, " I whispered, fumbling with the sheet that covered my legs.

"Grace... Baby."

I turned to him and watched him moved closer as the need to stay clear him took hold. "I still want to go home."

"Grace please. Don't do this to me... To us... To the innocent baby," He pleaded holding my hand while I searched for solutions to my problem.

"You will be fine without me."

***