Chapter Eight: The Pack Dinner

ابدأ من البداية

Finn burst into laughter, making me jump as I'd forgotten they were even there. I felt my cheeks warm.

"Sorry, I just forget how humans need to define things so specifically," he said.

"You're his mate," Ashleigh offered with a shrug.

"That's all there is to it in our world.," Jamie said softly, taking my chin between his finger and thumb and gently tilting my head up to meet his kind eyes. "My parents know what you are to me and want nothing more than to welcome you to our family with open arms."

"It's really that simple?" I asked, stifling the giggle that always threatened to come out when he spoke so formally.

"It's really that simple," he said reassuringly, gently kissing the top of my head. "Besides, wouldn't you rather meet them at a pack dinner where there are distractions instead of one-on-one?"

"Yikes, seriously take that offer Gracie," Finn said, earning himself a swat from Ashleigh.

~

Jamie and Finn left to finish up some business before dinner, leaving Ashleigh and I to pull the cookies out.
"We should bring these to the Omegas cooking tonight," she suggested. "That would be the perfect gesture for your first dinner as Luna."
"Okay," I said with a smile. "What am I supposed to wear to something like this?"
"It's pretty casual, there's actually a dress in your wardrobe that I picked up for you with this exact dinner in mind. I followed her through to mine and Jamie's room where she rifled through the closet to find what she was looking for.

"There is it!" She exclaimed, emerging with a beautiful baby blue covered in soft floral print. It had a stunning sweetheart neckline with off shoulder sleeves. I quickly changed into it and slipped on the white low rise leather trainers Ashleigh picked out for me.

She straightened our hair and helped me apply some subtle makeup, disappeared for a minute while she changed into a similar dress, but in light pink paired with strappy sandals, and came back with a small gift box.

"This is a special gift from Finn and I, a welcome to the pack," she said shyly.

I opened it and it was a dainty silver chain, with a beautiful pendant on it. I looked up at her, feeling tears spring to my eyes.

"Is this the pack crest?" I asked and she smiled gently.

"Yes."

I studied it. It was a shield with stunning etchings of a lake shore dotted with trees, a howling wolf above it. It had our pack name on it, and I ran my fingers over the foreign language etched across the top.

"Vis et honor usque ad finem," Ashleigh explained. "It's Latin, it means strength and honour til the end."

I smiled, dabbing away my tears as she gently put the necklace on me.

"Thank you," I whispered. "It's so perfect."

She squeezed my hand reassuringly. "You're welcome, a Luna should always have the pack crest. Let's go meet the Omega's, yeah?" She asked and I flashed her a grin, grabbing our box of cookies.

The meeting went very smoothly. Everyone was very welcoming and grateful for the cookies. Mostly the ones cooking were younger pack members, in their late teens or early twenties exploring ways to serve the pack other than becoming a warrior. The lady running the kitchen was middle aged, calm and gentle, but clearly with a stern demeanor to keep everyone on track. She introduced herself as Xavier's mate, and I smiled to myself, seeing how perfect they must be together.

The next thing I knew I was being ushered into a huge room adjacent to the kitchen. There were long, communal style benches in orderly lines, already scattered with groups of pack members. We made our way through them, greeting those I'd met already. We said hello to Sarah, who's mother pulled me into the kindest hug and welcomed me to the pack, her eyes fiercely communicating her sadness and anger at what had happened to us.