Chapter 32

The next morning, Tate walked out to the kitchen. Feelings and emotions were bubbling inside of him after what had happened in town yesterday. First, he had seen the way people looked at Megan, and he knew she had felt it too. It hadn't helped when Brea had shown up and treated Megan like the dirt on the bottom of her boot. That had all been pushed to the back of his mind though when he had heard the whispers on the street about him. Ever since, he had been plagued by memories of the past, that had only faded when dinner time had rolled around and he had gotten himself a couple beers, along with some good laughs with old buddies of his. He hadn't spoken to Megan since coming back from town, had hardly seen her, and couldn't quite muster up the strength to address what had happened. He sighed, his head aching with a faint hangover, and poured himself a cup of coffee before heading out to the porch.

"Mornin Tate." He had just taken a seat on the steps of the porch, when the door opened behind him. He was surprised to see Cole step out of the house and watched as the man took a seat across from him.

"Didn't know you stayed the night Cole." He muttered, before turning back to face the yard. With his thoughts swirling inside of his mind, he didn't want to talk to his best friend.

"I didn't. Drove over here early this mornin to talk, but seems as if you slept in a little. Been talkin to Gunner and your mama for a while now." He too, faced the yard, but Tate could tell he had something on his mind.

"What brought you out this morning?" Cole shrugged.

"Just wanted to talk. It's been a long time Tate, since we've been together here. I didn't get to talk to you much last night and I know you're leaving in a couple days. Besides, I've got to hit the road early tomorrow mornin. Chasin the rodeo circuit never gives you anything but a couple days." Tate nodded. He knew that as well as anyone. Behind them the screen door opened again and this time his mama stepped out.

"Good mornin boys." She settled down in the rocking chair, and Tate turned to face both her and Cole. As he was turning he caught a look passed between them and he frowned.

"Why am I getting the impression that this was all staged?" He scowled and his mama smiled innocently. Cole however, didn't use any pretenses.

"Maybe because it was." Anger flared hot in Tate's chest and he glared at both of them.

"I don't need your help." Cole raised his eyebrows.

"Tell that to the half a dozen beers you drank and the hangover you're nursing right now." Tate groaned and rubbed his head.

"I didn't think I had that many."Cole scoffed at his reply.

"They just kept appearin in your hand then? You were a little tipsy by the time you went to bed. Not half as a bad as most people but I suppose with your drinking record you've built up a tolerance. Now we all know that once you get drinking, it means that somethin is botherin you. Especially when you and Megan didn't so much as look at each other all night." Cole finished his speech with a glare in Tate's direction and he couldn't help but wonder if Cole was doing this for him or Megan.

"Just talk to us Tate." His mama said softly. He could hear the rhythmic motion of her rocking chair moving back and forth. He sighed, knowing that they wouldn't let him go without talking.

"We ran into Brea yesterday." That was all he had to say, before understanding flashed across both of their faces. Cole looked mad, whereas his mama just looked sad.

"Oh no. The good Lord knows Megan didn't need that." She murmured and Tate nodded.

"Yeah. It wasn't pretty. She ripped into Megan pretty hard. Implyin that Megan wouldn't get why she kept comin back to me, and tellin her that once I wanted a 'whole woman' again that she'd take good care of me." Tate rubbed his forehead and sighed.