Chapter 25

Megan glanced around her with a smile on her face. After having a bit of trouble getting through the airport and to the rental car place she was happy to finally be sitting in the truck that Tate had rented. She had been amused when he insisted on renting a truck, but hadn't argued even though it was more expensive. This was his trip after all. The air outside the airport was warm and she relished in not freezing every time she stepped outside.

"Ready to go?" Tate asked her with a grin and she nodded. She could tell by his big smile that he was very happy to be back here.

"How long is it to San Antonio?" She questioned.

" About 3 hours. Give or take a little. It really just depends on how fast you drive and what roads you take. I'm just planning on taking the freeway there though." Tate shrugged. She nodded and settled back in her seat, watching out the window as they wound their way out of the airport and towards the freeway that would take them out of Houston.

"I didn't think of Texas as having palm trees." She laughed a little at the sight of the tropical trees on the side of the road, despite them looking kind of brown and dead. Tate chuckled.

"Well we sure do. More towards the ocean though. The gulf is only about an hour and half from Houston so it's pretty close. Moving up to San Antonio and out farther you don't see as many." Megan watched Tate as he skillfully maneuvered his way through the traffic. He drove with one hand loosely on the wheel, and tapped his fingers along with the country music that was playing from the radio, all while not seeming to even pay attention to the cars around him. He was back in a place that was comfortable to him.

"You are a good driver." Megan commented and he looked over and raised his eyebrows.

"Thanks?" She laughed at the questioning tone in his voice and shook her head a little.

"I mean this traffic is crazy. But you don't even seem to notice it and you are going quite a bit over the speed limit." She grinned, leaning over to look at his speedometer. He just laughed.

" Well I grew up navigating big cities like Houston and San Antonio. We came to the major rodeos every year growing up as one of us in the family was often competing. And this is Texas. We all drive way over the speed limit here." She laughed along with him, enjoying seeing him happy. She couldn't remember the last time he had smiled and laughed so much. She listened as he talked about growing up and going to the different rodeos and stock shows around the state and neighboring states and laughed at his stories of getting multiple tickets after he left Texas because he was used to speeding with no consequences. The warmth in the truck and the slow drawl of Tate's voice was making her sleepy and soon she was dozing off again.

****

"Hey Megs. Wake up. We are at the hotel now." Megan slowly awoke to Tate nudging her shoulder. Her neck was stiff and she stretched it, looking out the window and yawning.

"Sorry, I just can't seem to stay awake." She grimaced and he chuckled softly.

"Don't worry about it."

"I wanted to see the scenery though." She pouted a little and he laughed and leaned forward to kiss her softly.

"You'll have plenty of time to do that. I promise." She looked around and realized that they were in the hotel parking lot. She waited for Tate to get her wheelchair and then slid out of the truck and carefully maneuvered herself into the chair. Tate swung his duffel bag over his shoulder and grabbed her suitcase and led the way to the hotel. Soon they were sitting in their room and she was watching Tate as he flipped through the hotel directory book.

"Are you nervous about going back home?" He looked up at the sound of her voice and then frowned a little.

"Yeah. I mean I haven't been back in a little over three years. Last time I was there was for Christmas and I ended up leaving before the celebrations even began." His shoulders slumped a little as he remembered his past and she wheeled over to him and leaned against his arm.