Chapter 19

Megan woke up the next morning to a heavy arm slung over her, and a body curled around hers from behind. She smiled a little and snuggled her back further into Tate's warm chest. He reacted by pulling her closer. She wanted to turn around and look at him, but with his arm laying over her stomach, she didn't have to strength to turn her body and drag her useless legs along. The way Tate was starting to move around more was a good indication that he was starting to wake up.

"Tate?" She whispered, hoping she wouldn't wake him up.

"Hmmm?" He hummed.

"Could you lift your arm? I need to turn over and I can't manage it with your arm over me."

"Mmmm sorry Megan." Tate mumbled, before lifting his arm. Before she could turn all the way over, she felt his arm scoop underneath her back and saw the other one go to guide her legs to help her turn over. Once she was facing him, he smiled sleepily down at her.

"Thank you." She giggled at his sleepy expression and he grinned down at her.

"Mornin beautiful." His morning voice was hoarse and deep and her stomach flipped.

"Good morning Tate. How are you doing?" His eyes held a sad expression, as if immediately on waking he remembered all of his burdens.

"Better because you are here." He drew her even closer to him and she nuzzled her face into his neck.

"Want to talk more?" She felt him sigh, and then shake his head.

"It all just hurts too much right now." She nodded in understanding and let her lips kiss his neck gently. He groaned a little.

"Hey Tate? Can I tell you something?" She lifted her head a little to look at him and he looked down at her.

"Anythin."

"I think it would do you good to call your mom. It would do her good too. She obviously misses you." She felt him tense up a bit and worried that she had crossed the line. He didn't let her go though and she reached up to comb her fingers through his thick brown hair, watching as he slowly relaxed again.

"Yeah. I know I should call her. But I just ain't strong enough right now."

"I think you are. You just tell yourself you aren't." He pushed her back a little ways so he could look at her right in the eyes. His arm was still loosely draped over her waist but his gaze was serious.

"I'm scared it's gonna hurt to much. You saw how I deal with my pain Megs. It ain't pretty. It always ends up with me blackout drunk, passed out somewhere, waking up in jail, or even worse some girls bed. I can't handle it well." She stretched up and softly kissed him on the lips.

"I know. But if you ever want to call her, I can help you. I'll make sure you do none of that stuff." His eyes glistened and he blinked hard before dropping his head and kissing her.

"Thank you Megan. And I'm sorry again for doin what I did and for being cold to you these last few weeks. I've just been strugglin."

"Of course. And you don't have to apologize for that. I understand now." They lay there for a few more minutes until Tate sighed.

"As much as I wanna lay here all day, those chores ain't gonna do themselves." They both laughed before slipping out of bed and making their way to the kitchen to start their day.

******

The next couple of weeks flew past and suddenly Christmas was almost upon them. Megan stared outside at the thick white snow falling outside and wished she could ease the ache that throbbed inside of her. It was hitting her hard that she had no family left in this world and that without Tate, she would have no one. She sniffed hard and wiped the stray tear that trickled down her cheek.