Chapter Twenty-three

He came to me in my dreams that night. I didn't fight - I was too eager to learn more about him. He didn't enfold me in darkness or whisk me away to the obsidian pillar. He was simply present, as though he wanted to observe me. It was a stalemate, neither of us performing our courtly dance. He waited for my acceptance and I waited for his offer.

I wanted to return there, to feel the cold, numbing atmosphere and to watch the stars, that weren't stars at all. I wanted to know what they really were. I wanted to know what he looked like, who he was, and what he truly wanted from me. When would he return for me? Did I have to summon him? Or, would he just turn up when he felt like it, eager to cruelly intrude upon my mind once again.

I was awoken by a gentle hand on my arm. It was still night when the dryad hushed me. I took her proffered hand and stood still while she helped me into my clean, dry and stitched dress, still warm from the fire. She wrapped a thick shawl around my shoulders and guided me from the cave, the waterfall hiding our footsteps.

Bellan led me down the hill, following the path to the river while the sun began to rise above the world. I yawned in the fresh, dewy air as the wet grass dampened my slippers.

'I need to speak with you...'

'Valla, my name is Valla.'

'Valla.' She smiled widely at me and threaded her arm around my own. 'I can sense the magic in you, Valla.'

'I can hardly control it.'

She paused for a moment, scrutinising my face closely. 'Rainah told me what happened in the forest.'

I was wide awake now. A cold stone dropped in my stomach. 'In the forest?'

'She told me of how you saved her life.'

I bit my lip, uncomfortable with the one-sided tale that left much of the strange truth out. 'It's complicated,' I sighed, thinking of the obedient trees, helping when I needed them.

One day you will come to me willingly... and then I will be your servant. I will bow before you eagerly.

'Regardless, if you have the power within you to help others, then don't you believe that you should?' Bellan's brow rose questioningly.

'Of course, I do.' I fiddled with stray strands of hair, tucking them back behind my ear.

'Dryads are born with the potential to use magic, but very few humans are. Alchemy can be taught as it is simply a chemical reaction of ingredients to create or transform, but sorcery requires a stronger skill. To spell cast, the spark must lie within the person conjuring it. Do you understand?' I nodded, grateful for the concise explanation.

'Each has their limits and with practice one can become strong. But magic can destroy lives. Power like that is no triviality.' A slight crease wore itself upon Bellan's forehead like a circlet. 'Have you seen magic used before?'