Chapter Forty-seven

The next morning, I found myself stood at the foot of the bridge, waiting impatiently in the cold for Varellna to finish giving orders to other sorcerers. The morning air was frosty, and the sky was white. Winter had arrived in Kralken at last, and would soon spread south to taunt the other countries.

I closed my eyes as I waited, imagining the sleet travelling down towards Willowheathe, right at the bottom of the map that I had studied in Varellna's office. The memory of hot milk, roaring fires and the bright gleam of the cold on Rebecca's nose filled me with a longing to return home. I shook myself like a wet dog, reminding myself that it was no longer my home, and that Rebecca would never look like that again. That entire chapter in my life lived only in my memories now.

I couldn't deny that in the weeks following my escape from Vakaaria I had felt an intense longing for Sebastien. It wasn't like when we had parted in Rinturst; the ache for him was more than a niggle in the back of my mind, it was now a tight band of steel across my chest. I took every breath with the knowledge that I may never see him again, and each one grew sharper within me. Perhaps that was why they called it heartache.

'Valla?' The warm eyes of Wynona appeared at my side. I smiled tightly and let a shivering breath out as my body shook with the cold. 'She has quite a bit of placating to do, with some of the sorcerers anyway. You'll be leaving soon, love.'

'He found her finally, then?' I asked with irritation at the memory of Waincroft's bloodshot eyes that morning, staring holes through my head as I struggled to keep down a mouthful of porridge. I had gone straight to my room once we had returned. I had refused to answer him anything. When he tried to wrap me in a cloak I pushed him off.

He had stopped me from doing something that he then proceeded to do. I took it as though he thought me incapable, or a soft, helpless girl. He let me down. I thought that he knew me better than that. That he believed in me.

'Yes, and he is not in the mood for compromise either.'

'Compromise?'

'He betrayed her, Valla. She is in charge of us whether we like it or not. People like us would never survive without a ruler. In fact, you'll find that goes for many factions and breeds of people. It would be chaos. Things were different before she lost Mauden. We had our freedom. But since that awful witch did what she did, none of us are free. He struggles to understand that.'

'Do you think this is a bad idea, Wynona?' I asked quietly, watching the black water of the moat swirl like ink under the bridge.

'No. I thought you spoke very well at the meeting. You were the only one with a solution and hopefully it will give us all a chance at survival. Or at least buy us some time.'

I nodded, my long braid bobbed up and down my back like a heavy rope. I pushed my hands up the sleeves of my purple robes, and let out an icy breath. It clouded before my eyes like steam.

'Speaking of survival...I don't think that is a reward that I can share.'

'A reward?' Wynona came closer and pulled her thick, grey cloak around my shoulders. Her warm figure nestled me close.