Chapter Forty-one

'Magic is volatile, challenging and known to be the master of itself. We Sorcerers and Alchemists are merely guides and vessels for such a phenomenal marvel. However, it is worth noting that since the beginning of time, Elemental Magic has been witnessed on several occasions, and although this is rare, as philosophers and students we cannot throw these happenings aside without consideration. Many have witnessed certain beings conjuring magic from the earth, the water, fire and air, without the use of an incantation or potion and have created magic from themselves. These beings are unusual and dangerous as they are thought to be a font out of which the magic can manifest itself. In the legend of Fortitude's Child, we have heard of this occurring, but one can only perceive this as myth and marvel-'

'You won't learn much out of that, girl.'

I snapped the book shut and turned to face the woman who had appeared silently at my side. 'I have a lot of catching up to do.'

'And who gave you this?' She fingered through the ancient, discoloured pages that lay before me.

'Waincroft.' His name still seemed foreign on my lips.

She rolled her eyes. 'Well, Varellna has sent me to help you.'

The woman looked to be in her fifties and was clad in a plain grey dress. Her dark hair was also simple, cut as short as a young boy's and streaked with grey. Her eyes were light brown and emanated wisdom, but what calmed me was the warmth within them.

'My name is Wynona, I am on the council and I am Varellna's closest advisor here.' She winked and nodded exaggeratedly to the library door. 'She has entrusted me with your training.' Wynona smiled reassuringly.

'Will Waincroft allow-'

'Enough about him for today. He doesn't care about what's good for anyone but himself. You'd do well to give him a wide berth.' She beckoned me to follow, and I obeyed. I had been cooped up in the library for days, reading everything that Waincroft put on my desk. I hadn't actually seen him, but I knew it was him.

'Wynona, I was wondering...'

'Yes?' The sorceress led me down a corridor and up a flight of stairs. The Fold was a maze. 'If so many people are suffering and sorcerers have the power to help end that, then why have I hardly met any magical people before? Why are they hunted?'

'Well, that's simple to answer.' She smiled broadly and continued to bustle along another corridor. 'You know that we have been banished from Vakaaria and Lilden by King Edrik, yes?'

'Yes.' I tripped on the hem of my new gown. It was buttoned up to the neck, long-sleeved and made from rich, purple velvet. I was unused to the weight of it, but glad that it covered me, unlike the nightgown I had arrived in.

'Well, do you know why that happened?' I frowned and tried to rifle through all of the new things that I had discovered since I had fled Willowheathe many months ago. 'Clearly you don't, so I'll tell you. There was a powerful sorceress who helped found the Fold many years ago. She installed herself at King Edrik's side not long after his coronation. None of us could understand why. Varellna put it down to infatuation. It became obvious that Mauden was intent on remaining there. She was shirking all of her duties on the council, we barely saw her and finally Varellna voiced her concerns to us. They were very close, Mauden and Varellna.