Chapter Twenty-four

'Deep in the mountains where we work,
with our pickaxes we dig through mounds of dirt,
where its hot and dank and hazy,
where the bats will drive you crazy,
oh, deep in the mountains where we work.'

Dalton's fifth rendition of the Rinturstrian workers' song had Ronov staring into his calloused hands in frustration. 'I don't know about the bats driving us crazy, but you, my large friend are doing rather well for yourself!'

'Well thank you, deserter! And once again, deep in the mountains where we work...'

I chuckled as I watched them from the other side of the small boat, ignoring the whipping of parchment through air as Sebastien turned the pages of his journal fiercely. I was trying to disregard his vexation, but every time he ran a hand through his hair or thumped his thigh with a fist I couldn't help wanting to offer him some form of comfort. I knew what bothered him though, and I didn't want to talk about it with that monster.

Dalton's singing continued, loud and jolly in the open sea air as the immense mountains of Rinturst came into view. The sight of their snow-capped peaks raised Dalton's spirits considerably and the feeling was infectious amongst us all, except Sebastien.

'Perdition,' he cursed under his breath. As he flicked the worn, grubby pages of the book, it slipped from his hands onto the bottom of the boat.

I reached for it, but he grasped it out of my hands like a greedy thief with a pouch of gold coins. I watched him, confused and distrustful, but he did not back down. He edged as far from me as he could without falling from the boat.

'Is this about your brother?' I asked, coaxing him. His eyes flashed at me, the blue within them was almost icy, forming a barrier between us.

'Don't trouble yourself to ask about him.'

'I'm very interested in him.'

'Well, best let the interest end there, eh?' he snapped.

'Why do you protect him?'

'He is my brother.'

'He's a monster,' I spat.

'You don't know him.'

'I don't need to know him. I saw what he did to my family.'

'You don't have family anymore,' he riposted, his eyes wild with fury. 'But, I still do, and I want to help him.'

I sat back from him, my anger turning into emptiness. Sebastien bent over with his elbows on his knees, his head drooping down as he jolted one leg up and down anxiously.

'I'm sorry, Valla.'

'Don't be, you're correct. I don't have anyone, not a single person, in the world. Thanks to your family. You must love him very much to forgive him.'