[ ship it pt. 3 ]

Start from the beginning

"You like me," she breathed, taking a hesitant step onto the dock.

He exhaled a chuckle. "You like me."

No more words were needed. Confirmation were held within those three words exchanged, and the tension that had been built up for the prior years dissolved. Katie walked up to the Stoll and threw her arms around him.

"You like me," she repeated, heart fluttering.

A lopsided grin stretched across his face. He pulled her into his chest, one arm slung around her middle and the other cradling her head. "Yup."

Motionless, they reveled in their vanished enmity. All smiles and relief, their moment burst with a glowing form of happiness. They didn't hate each other. Arguably, they never had.

It was perfect.

"I was so worried this was going to be a practical joke," Katie admitted, finally breaking the silence.

He craned his neck down to look at her. "What do you mean?"

"I know you swore on the River Styx that it wouldn't be, but I know you and I know you can't help yourself with your pranks, and..."

"When did I swear on the Styx?"

Katie shook herself lightly and tilted her head. "In the letter. You said-"

"What letter?"

She extracted herself from his embrace and stumbled back, incredulous. "The letter you wrote to tell me you liked me. It said to meet you here."

"Then what about your letter?"

"What letter?!" Katie threw her hands in the air.

"Your letter declaring your love for me!" Travis exclaimed, confusion flooding the space between them. "It told me the same thing!"

"I didn't write a letter...?" she trailed off as two figures shot out of the water.

"Gotcha!" Percy cackled, followed by Annabeth's proud giggles.

"Wha-"

The two had clambered up onto the dock straight from the lake, both dry as could be. Katie would've been marveling at Percy's abilities to keep them dry if not for the fact that they stood before her and Travis, laughing their heads off.

"What's this about?" Travis, scatterbrained as ever, ran a hand through his hair.

Though Katie hadn't taken the time to appreciate Percy's water manipulation, she did take a moment to appreciate Travis' hair.

Percy pulled himself together long enough to say, "We pranked you guys hard."

"You really thought we wouldn't show each other the letters we were getting?" Annabeth followed up. "It was obvious it was a joke, and we traced it back to you two."

"More like she did. I just watched," Percy finished.

Katie couldn't believe it. She'd just been pranked by two sophomores, with a son of Hermes who didn't suspect it. She guessed he was beating himself up over it, because when she faced him, Travis looked distraught.

"So... you don't like me," he concluded.

Annabeth scoffed. "She obviously does. That's why she came here."

"That's why you came, too," Percy added.

"I knew you'd both show up if we put it in both letters, because it's painfully apparent that you like each other." Annabeth reached over and propped her elbow on Percy's shoulder, which made him blush. "You just needed a little push to admit it."

How ironic, Katie thought.

Her attention was brought to Travis, who stared at her with so much emotion that he could've bore holes into Katie's head.

"She's right," he credited. "You wouldn't have come if you didn't like me."

Katie contemplated punching him in the face and claiming that she was in on Percy and Annabeth's prank, but she knew they'd just diss her. Besides, maybe she did like him.

A lot.

"We'll leave you guys to it," Annabeth said, ushering Percy away from the lake. Katie still wondered about why she'd been so comfortable under the water with Percy and how often they did that, but she figured that was a question for another time.

Once they were gone, Travis scratched the back of his head uneasily. "Uh, I guess we're not enemies anymore, then?"

Katie grabbed the front of his shirt and yanked him close to her face, just like she always did when she was about to destroy him for a prank. He flinched out of habit, preparing himself for a smack to the face.

But he received something much different: a kiss.

She pressed her lips to his briefly, but it was certainly enough to get the message across. She pulled away with enough distance to say, "We're definitely not enemies anymore, Stoll."

He grinned and brought her close again. Eyes scouring over her, his lips ghosted over hers.

"Good."