CHAPTER 18 -- CASINO

AUTHOR'S NOTE:  Teresa finds herself the only undercover cop in an illegal casino guarded by dangerous, experienced criminals. Will anyone question her identity? Will the "Dupree" family of cops get to her before "Big C" Ciano and his thugs do? Enjoy chapter 18 of Emerald's Secret.

Following her mother's directions, Terry and Lola arrived at an ordinary hotel wall with portraits of famous hotel guests displayed in a variety of expensive frames

Following her mother's directions, Terry and Lola arrived at an ordinary hotel wall with portraits of famous hotel guests displayed in a variety of expensive frames. Terry touched something inside an adjacent potted palm, and the wall slid open to reveal a luxurious, seemingly gold-plated, elevator.

The two women spent a second in open-mouthed amazement. Then Lola urged Terry forward, and they hurried into the elevator. Terry pushed the only floor-selection button – it was not labeled – and the hotel wall closed again just as the elevator doors came together with a quiet thump.

Terry looked around the elevator and then at Lola. "We're going down."

Lola nodded.

"I didn't think you could have basements in Florida," Terry said.

Lola answered, "You can have whatever you can afford, I guess. And I bet this particular basement costs a lot, but it turns a high profit – especially while gambling remains illegal in this state. No competition. Except cruise ships and Native American reservations, of course, and there ain't that many of those."

As the elevator progressed sedately downward, Lola turned to Terry and attempted to reassure her about something.

"Y'know, my relationship with Greg is purely professional – I mean, his profession, not mine. There's nothing personal going on between him and me."

"Same here," said Terry.

Lola laughed.

Terry looked sideways at her, and Lola laughed even harder.

Then the elevator stopped, the doors shushed open, Lola quieted, and Terry's eyes widened. They stepped out of the elevator into Las Vegas East.

Meanwhile, Mother M stopped in the doorway of the dining room and scanned the space from wall to wall

Meanwhile, Mother M stopped in the doorway of the dining room and scanned the space from wall to wall. She adjusted her course and moved decisively toward the Dupree table.