CHAPTER 9 - DANCING

Evening was always romantic and entertaining in the Emerald C's elegant dining room. The orchestra played, resort guests dined sumptuously, couples circled the dance floor as gracefully as swans on a moonlit lake. Also, Gino, Marco, and Irving watched like hungry vultures.

A waiter cleared dinner dishes away from the table where four undercover cops had enjoyed their dinner.

Stefan offered, "Brandy or coffee, anyone?"

"Cognac sounds lovely," said Irene.

"No, thank you," said Terry.

"Iced tea," said Greg. Then, to Terry, he said, "May I have the pleasure of this dance?"

She answered him with a stern look.

"I promise to behave," he said.

Irene touched Terry's shoulder. "Go ahead, dear." Then she looked at her "husband," Stefan. "Mister DuPree? Shall we?"

"Well, ah, M-- Mrs. DuPree, I was just about to order the bran—"

"It'll wait. Come on."

Irene and Greg each led a reluctant partner onto the dance floor, where they melded with the couples already there.

Greg tried to hold Terry close, but she pushed him back, making a small gesture with her chin toward Gino, the nearest vulture.

"I think a little daylight in the middle is safest, don't you?" she said.

"I think it's dangerous just being in the same room with you."

Another couple jostled them, accidentally pressing Terry against Greg's groin. Her eyes widened, and she quickly pushed him away again. "Geez, keep your jacket buttoned! You're supposed to be my brother! We could get arrested!"

"Not my fault. You drive me to distraction."

"No, you need some distraction. ... What's wrong with you? Don't look at me! ... That's better. Now, we'll just talk. Casually. Put your mind somewhere else."

Greg kept his head up and eyes looking over Terry's head at something in the distance. His brow furrowed as if he was working hard to put his mind somewhere. Anywhere.

Across the floor, Irene and Stefan were dancing under Marco's watchful eyes.

"You are a marvelous dancer," Irene told her "husband."

"Thank you, my dear. ... Do you think that's what the young stud with the red carnation is admiring?" Stefan swung her around with a clever step, so she could look at Marco without being obvious.

"My! Doesn't he look healthy?" Irene said, appreciatively.

Stefan nodded. "Well, at least we know the watchdogs are out of their kennel, and we'd better be careful. ... Oh, no! Look at the children!"

He danced her around so they could both see Greg and Terry – who were dancing and talking ... and looking into each other's eyes quite deeply.

"Let's cut in," Irene said. "We don't want the DuPree family name sullied by charges of incest."

"I suppose you will take him and leave me with her."

"Shut up and play the doting father – and hurry, before the watchdogs catch on!"

Stefan and Irene swept across the dance floor like Fred and Ginger on speed. Quickly, and with meaningful pseudo-smiles, they pirouetted in between a surprised Greg and Terry. The younger pair suddenly found themselves in a different partner's clutches. Safely reorganized, the new couples danced apart.

Stefan and Terry maintained a sedate box-step, but Irene jerked Greg into a show-stopping tango. Ba-DUMMMP-bomp-bomp-bomp-SWOOP-ta-dah-da-DAHH-dah.

"Mom! What's the deal?" said Greg, sneaking a look over his shoulder at one of the "executives."

Swoop.

"Quality time, dear. Your father and I don't want to ignore you."

Swoop.

"But if you want everyone else to ignore you, my son," she whispered, "stay away from your 'sister.' Got it?"

Swoop.

Big C and Emerald danced out of the center of the crowd and passed by Greg and Irene. Greg and Emerald made eye contact. Panic crossed both their faces, and Greg swooped Irene deep into the crowd as expeditiously as possible.

Big C glanced at the couple his wife seemed to have noticed. "Mama's boy!" he said dismissively.

In their flight from the Ciano couple, Greg and Irene tangoed broadside into Terry and Stefan, with a gentle bump. Greg took the lead over Irene, for a change, and shrank into a box-step, keeping alongside Terry and Stefan for cover.

"What was that all about?" said Irene.

Greg said, "An old girlfriend. I think she recognized me."

"Oh my dear Lord," said Stefan.

"Wonderful," said Irene.

"Which one is she?" said Terry, stretching her neck to see into the crowd.

"What do you want to do, son?" Stefan said.

Greg smiled at him and shrugged. "Back to the table, I guess, Dad."

They all danced off in the appropriate direction.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:  Crabapples! Did Greg and Emerald part as friends way back when? Will she tell her criminal husband (or one of his thug watchdogs) that Greg is a cop -- or at least he was when she knew him in the past?  Will the "Dupree family" lea...

AUTHOR'S NOTE:  Crabapples! Did Greg and Emerald part as friends way back when? Will she tell her criminal husband (or one of his thug watchdogs) that Greg is a cop -- or at least he was when she knew him in the past?  Will the "Dupree family" leave the resort, to be safe, or will they take the risk of staying on their mission even though their cover could be blown?  (Hint:  If they suddenly leave, our story is over! Pretty sure they're staying.)

Thanks for reading and commenting. Click that little voting star before you go, and come back next time for more of Emerald's Secret.

 Click that little voting star before you go, and come back next time for more of Emerald's Secret