Chapter LIX.

"Thank you," Aaron whispered into Miles' hair.

Miles pulled himself just far enough away to keep his hands on Aaron's arms and to move his head to face Aaron's once the blond had lifted it. Miles was close enough to see his own reflection in Aaron's eyes. "What for?"

"For being such an asshole," answered Aaron, "and always making me laugh."

They both laughed. Aaron laughed through tears and Miles laughed for the first time properly in weeks. "Take your English accent and go call somebody else names," Miles scoffed, swatting Aaron's arm gently with the back of his hand.

Aaron sounded teasing. "What's wrong with my accent?"

"Everything." Nothing. Miles liked Aaron's accent.

"Ah," said Aaron. He knew Miles was lying.

Aaron sniffled and finally pulled fully away from Miles, letting his hands drop back down by his sides. "Anyway."

Smiles weren't meant to be allowed. Miles wasn't meant to smile while Aaron was crying or while Ty was lying dead in a store or while his body felt weak and sore all over. But the ghost of a smile played on his lips anyway, dangerous and rogue. Not meant to be there. "Anyway," he agreed. No matter how there was joy plastered on his face for the first time in a while, Miles was also feeling overwhelmed. Overwhelmed with new thoughts and renewed thoughts. His own problems and Aaron's problems. With sadness and anger even though he concealed it with that small spark of happiness that came from being so close to Aaron, who's presence never ceased to be comforting and warm. Even now, when Aaron was a mess of puffy eyes and tears and sweaty hair, he radiated energy that Miles could never hope to experience on his own.

To put it simply, Aaron had a way of expressing his emotions that set them down on others, too. Normally that was happiness - today it was sadness. But Miles didn't mind.

It was about fucking time somebody cheered Aaron up instead of the other way around.

Miles could put his writhing emotions on hold for a little while and suffer through them on his own later on. Seeing as he was already upset, he might as well lift some of Aaron's load too and try to cheer the boy up.

Miles rubbed Aaron's arm reassuringly. It just felt like he was meant to do it, even though really, it wasn't the sort of thing he'd have ever done any other time.

Miles thought that maybe the conversation was over; that Aaron's smile meant whatever had been troubling him was gone now. But then Aaron sobbed again, all humour drained from his face. He sank to the floor and Miles went down with him. Neither of them needed to say anything; Aaron would cry, and Miles would sit here with him while he did.

Miles' eyes stung, but he didn't let himself cry too. This wasn't about him.

When Aaron fumbled for it, Miles let Aaron take his hand. Aaron's palms were clammy and warm. All of his usual grace disappeared when he cried; his flouncy hair seemed to flop and his blue eyes drained of colour, becoming the grey of gloomy storm clouds. His pretty face became a torn mess of tears and his forehead wrinkled and his cheeks dimpled - like they did when he smiled but under such different circumstances.

Miles had nothing to do but watch Aaron and hold his hand.

A deep breath shuddered through Aaron's body. "Miles," he whispered.

"Yes?"

"I'm scared."

"Me too."

Another sob. "I've never done anything like this in my life. I've never been without my family for so long. I've never - I've never held a boy's hand in a library and complained to him before."