Chapter XXXIV.

Miles was starting to consider Declan's point.

Perhaps he was useless.

He was currently making his way precariously through the halls of the abandoned house that shared the property with the treehouse. Bri had specifically said it was dangerous, but that was precisely why he had entered. Fear was a wonderful distraction from anger.

On a side note, being in here made him wanted to throw his guts up. This house was essentially twins with the one he'd found two dead bodies in just the other day.

Miles had to cherish the fright that came from being in this place. It was much better than anger, though it wasn't as refreshing. He'd been scared for days.

The flashlight illuminated dusty hallways and obstacles that he'd have to surpass, mainly consisting of fallen vases or photo frames or wonky doors. Miles was paying his surroundings very little heed.

His body was here in the abandoned house, but his mind was elsewhere.

He had almost killed Declan over the fact that he'd been called useless. It felt even more stupid now, because Declan might have been right.

Miles hadn't saved anybody since this thing - the apocalypse was a good name for it, really - had started. The only thing he'd managed to accomplish was watching people die or finding them dead.

Other people were saviours.

Lia had saved Aaron on that first night.

Bri had saved Miles' entire group, by bringing them out here.

Luca had saved Buddy, if that counted.

Aaron had done a lot of saving. He'd saved Miles in the alley that night before he was choked to death. He'd saved the group at Northside Boys High and managed to score himself a baseball bat.

He'd also saved Declan from Miles.

Miles had saved nobody and nothing.

Miles nearly jumped out of his skin when behind him, a floorboard creaked, and the light of another flashlight joined his own in illuminating the room.

"Hey, asshole."

It was Aaron.

Here to save the day again.

Miles was both relieved and scared and furious. Phantom hands still clasped his throat as firmly as Aaron's had when he'd torn Miles away from Declan.

"Get out," said Miles. "It's dangerous in here."

"Is that so?" Aaron sounded fearless, and that unsettled Miles. Aaron had lots to be scared of, in this house.

Unstable walls. Tripping hazards. Miles.

"Yeah. Get the hell out while you can."

Aaron didn't listen. He picked his way to Miles side and then they both stopped walking, turning instinctively to face one another.

Miles' flashlight shone towards the roof, Aaron's towards the floor.

Miles didn't speak as he stared at Aaron.

The blonde was handsome in the dim light, hair tousled and wild and face flecked with insignificant scratches. His blue eyes - tiny pools of sapphire - glittered like he was amused, but there was nothing entertaining about this setting. Miles, given an excuse to stare since Aaron was also staring, eyed Aaron's pretty face through the darkness.

Miles wasn't allowed to think like that. He didn't want to think like that.

Aaron was nobody to him. Ty was somebody to him.