Chapter XXVII

The fence that had crashed to the ground was in uneven halves, sharp around the edges. On top of it was one of the biggest dogs Miles had ever seen - not that he'd seen many. It was panting and wagging its tail, though Miles couldn't say why it would be happy at a time like this.

"Where did it come from?" Luca asked, immediately moving towards it.

Miles grabbed his arm to hold him back, and the dog didn't move. "That yard, idiot. It just broke the fence down."

Luca tried to tug himself free. "It looks perfectly calm! I want to give it a pat."

"Are you kidding? It's fucking huge and just knocked a fence down and probably has fleas!"

Luca frowned at Miles. "He just wanted to escape!"

Miles let go of Luca's hand, making an effort to make the movement especially dramatic. "Whatever. Go, pet it. You'll probably get rabies."

"As if." Luca outstretched both hands and without a second thought, starting to pet the dog, clucking his tongue playfully when the creature continued wagging its tail. Miles watched from where he stood, eyes narrowed. The dog wasn't in bad shape, considering it had just come from a house that Miles had thought was abandoned, and it had had the strength to knock over the fence. He wasn't surprised the animal had wanted to get out, though - the yard was tiny, and the dog was massive.

Miles glanced at the house, which was now easily accessible with the fence broken. "Luca, I'll be right back, okay?" Miles turned towards the house and stepped over the ruined fence, moving into the yard. "Give the dog a name or whatever. Scream if you need me."

Luca looked over his shoulder. "You're going in there?"

Without looking back, Miles called, "Somebody has to! I'll be back soon."

Miles pulled his phone from his pocket and flicked on the flashlight, warily testing the front stairs one at a time. They creaked but supported his weight. He continued up.

Miles rested his hand on the door handle once he was on the porch, heart hammering in his chest. He didn't know why he was scared - he was so sure that this house hadn't seen a resident in decades.

He turned the handle. It clicked, and the door immediately swung open.

At once, Miles was hit with a stench that made the bile rise in his throat. He stumbled back a step, covering his mouth with his hand.

He didn't want to go in, but he did so regardless.

He shuffled cautiously, one step at a time, hand over mouth though it didn't help much. The floorboards were rickety beneath his feet, groaning at each step he took.

Using his elbow, he nudged a door open and was provided with the unexpected sight of a bedroom in good shape. It was decorated. Shelves were full of small trinkets and photo frames that hadn't collected dust. Clothing-filled drawers hung open. The bedsheets were ruffled.

He was suddenly unsure that this place was abandoned after all.

Miles took an aghast step back, pausing in the hall for a moment just to regain his composure. He realised he was shaking when the light from his phone's flashlight wobbled.

If the house wasn't abandoned, then where was its owner?

Miles continued creeping through the hall, putting in a great deal of effort to not let the floorboards groan anymore. They disobediently did so anyway.

Miles had seen enough old horror movies to know that he ought to turn back. Right now.

But he didn't. Something wasn't right. The dog was in good condition and so were the rooms in this house.