Epilogue

Gripping Lilly's hand with my left hand and holding baby Alexis in the other, I rushed through the doors of Starfleet Medical. I was immediately met with Dr. Boyce and a team of nurses. As soon as I heard about what happened, I knew I had to get here as soon as I could.

"Good you're here." Dr. Boyce said.

"Where is she? Where's Megan?" I asked.

"Through here."

He led us through to a room where Megan was sitting up, a cannula in her hand. Her face immediately lit up when she saw us.

"Mommy!" Lilly shrieked as she rushed forward.

Lilly leapt onto the bed and Megan pulled her into a huge hug. I could see her grimace in pain, but I knew she would never let it show in front of Lilly. They pulled apart and Megan whispered something into her ear. Not long after, Lilly jumped off and ran out of the room.

"I'll take care of her." Dr. Boyce said.

I nodded and walked over with Alexis. I handed her to Megan before climbing onto the bed beside her and wrapping her tightly in my arms.

"What happened?" I asked.

She leaned further into me and said, "I passed out at the Academy while I was teaching and they were worried, so I was brought here."

I placed a gentle kiss on her forehead, and we lay together, waiting for news on her condition. It didn't take long for Dr. Boyce and Lilly to come back, cookie in hand. Lilly ran straight over to us and jumped into our arms.

"I have news about what's going on." He said.

"What's wrong with my wife?" I asked.

The look he gave us pretty much answered the question.

"The disease has spread to your heart and lungs. One scan shows a rapidly mutating tumour wrapped round the muscle wall around the ventricles. Its only a matter of time before your heart stops. I'm so sorry."

We immediately looked at one another. She had tears in her eyes, and I'm sure I did too.

"Chris, it's going to be okay. You'll be ok."

"How can you know? I can't live without you Megan. I love you."

"And I love you. I'll always be with you, no matter what. Even if I'm not physically here, I'll be in your heart and watching over you."

I leaned down and rested my forehead on hers.

"Mommy, what does the doctor mean?" Lilly asked.

We looked into each others eyes and nodded. She deserved to know the truth. Megan looked to Lilly and grabbed her hand in hers.

"Sweetie, you know how mommy's been sick for a while?"

"Yeah." She whispered.

"Well, that's why I'm here. Mommy isn't going to get better, so you need to be a strong brave girl for me ok?"

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw tears falling down Lilly's face as she nodded and curled into a ball in between us. Megan put a hand on her head and lightly stroked her hair.

"I don't want the kids here when I go. I can't put them through this- I just want you here." She whispered.

I nodded and Dr Boyce picked up Alexis and led Lilly out. She was extremely reluctant to leave at first, but she was convinced at the promise of ice cream. Typical 5-year-old.

"I'll shut the door, so you have some privacy."

I nodded and smiled lightly. Dr. Boyce closed the door and we were left alone.

I held Megan tightly in my arms as we talked about anything and everything. Despite the situation we were in, I couldn't help but smile at her as she reminisced about different memories- her eyes would sparkle and I saw an immediate change in her- until that spark vanished. The sparkle disappeared and her smile faded. I pulled her tightly to me, kissed her forehead and allowed the tears to fall. Why did the time crystal not foresee this? I held her in my arms, not wanting to let go as I knew I'd never see her again. A few moments later, Dr. Boyce stepped in.

"Chris, I've left the kids with Janet. How is..."

He looked up and saw us, and his face fell.

"Chris, I..." he began.

I looked at him and said "I know. You do what you need to do."

He nodded, walked over and completed his checks with the utmost respect and reverence.

"Time of death 1300 hours."

I didn't want to believe it, even though I knew it was true. I had lost the love of my life and there was no way to bring her back.

"I love you so much Megan. Always have, always will. I'll see you soon."