“One more for me, okay?” Then we’ll talk and I promise to tell you everything.”

Shelby nodded and dragged air in through her nose and let it out through her mouth.

“Better?” 

Shelby took stock of herself.  She didn’t feel faint anymore and that clawing panic she first felt when Anissa told her about the baby had abated.  “How,” she shook her head, still unable to fully process what was happening.  “How can this even happen?  I mean I didn’t think that vampires could have children.  Aren’t they supposed to be dead or like frozen in time?  How in the world can they procreate?”

“Sweetie, you’re a vampire.  You're not dead at all.”  To prove her point, Anissa took Shelby’s hand and placed it over her heart.  “Feel that?  It’s your heart beating just as strong as ever.  And you’re most certainly not frozen in time.  Your bio-clock has slowed down but you will age just at a much, much slower rate than everyone else.  A better way of describing you is enhanced.  Blood feeds that enhancement making you stronger than the average human, giving you the power to teleport and dream walk.  In every way that matters, you are alive.  Just… better. 

Anissa placed her hand on Shelby’s stomach. “And this one,” she smiled, “is very much alive as well.”

“I don’t know,” Shelby started to speak.  “I don't think I can do this.  I’m not fit to be a mother.  I’ve told you about my own parents.  What if I’m a bad mother?  What if I do something wrong and the baby suffers for it?” Shelby tried to stand up feeling the fingers of panic slowly creeping back inside her chest. “No… I can’t-”

Anissa placed her hands firmly on Shelby’s shoulders.  “Yes you can and- you will.  You will be a wonderful mother and Leo is going to be a very doting and attentive father.  I’ve seen it already; the future.  I’ve seen it with my own eyes.  Everything will be fine as long as Leo can put a stop to his mother’s plans tonight.”

Leo?  She’d forgotten all about him.  “What plans?,” she asked, frustration riding her hard.  Why would no one tell her anything?  She was sick and tired of being on the outside looking in; especially now that she may possibly be pregnant.  She wanted information.  Information was power.  Her best offense was going to be able to have a defense and if everyone continued to keep her in the dark then she would have nothing to protect herself or her baby with. 

The familiar feel of her fangs pressing through her gums didn’t bother her anymore.  She felt her temper raise and had no doubt that her eyes were probably flashing red.  To any other person that saw her right now, she would look every bit of the vampire that she had become.

She leaned in and brought her face just scant inches from her friend.  When she spoke, her voice sounded husky with a lilt.  “You’re talking in circles, Anissa and only making half sense.  I’m tired of playing games.  I want to know the truth and I want it now.  My patience is worn thin and I won’t take anything less.”

“Stop right there, Shelby.”  A new voice spoke from behind her; one that she didn't recognize.

“You don’t tell me what to do,” she snapped, not daring to turn away from Anissa.  Their gazes were locked but Anissa didn’t look at all worried about Shelby’s beastly state.

“Shelby,” she said calmly, “this is my mother, Clara.  She is also head of the coven and a seer.  She is the one that saw your fate, realized you were the one that the prophecy spoke of.  She also saw what was supposed to happen tonight and stepped in to stop it.  She has warned Alex and Leo and they are making the appropriate preparations to deal with the threat that tonight was supposed to bring.”