track 36. september - earth, wind & fire

Start from the beginning

"Rye!" I chuckled as he took a hold of my hips and began swaying them. And maybe it was the alcohol but even though I knew he was just joking around, I felt a shiver run down my body from where his breath fanned against my neck. I let him swivel my hips, getting lost in the music and the feeling of his warm body against mine. I hummed contently, because Rye didn't just make me forget about my problems, he made me too happy to care about them at all. He made me free.

"Rye," I sighed, lolling my head back against his body, "Te quiero."

I felt his smile against my neck, then a soft kiss just beneath my ear before his voice whispered into it. "Te quiero mucho, Andy."

***

The sun beat down on the bleachers as I watched Rye kick the ball to Harvey, warming down in the last few minutes of training. I shot him a small wave and he grinned as he caught sight of me, jogging away from his teammates to see me. It was gorgeous weather out but he was more beautiful than a summer's day, his effect not lost on me even after a good three months of dating, and all the years of loving him before that.

"Hey gorgeous," I grinned as he came closer, shining from the exertion of running around for the past hour.

"Hi baby." He pulled me in for a hug, smooshing his lips against my cheek to kiss me several times before I twisted around so his mouth was on mine instead. He tasted like sweat and springtime and I marvelled at the fact that we could do this now in the light of day for everyone to see.

"Oi Beaumont!" Harvey called, both of us groaning when Rye pulled away from me to look at his captain. "You can suck his face after you pee in a cup."

"Alright, alright," Rye sighed, squeezing my cheeks in his hand to give me one more peck before jogging off into the changing rooms with the rest of his team. Regular drug testing was compulsory for the football team now, a policy Harvey had helped spearhead with the coach and the university board after the news of their former teammate Jason Clemonte's arrest had broken publicly. Harvey had held a meeting with the team to announce that they now had a zero tolerance for drugs and taking them would result in players being cut immediately. It was a ballsy move, one which I admired Harvey for a lot. It would take a lot to change the culture of a university, but the high profile football team was as good a place as any to start.

I sat down under the bleachers as I waited for him, sheltering my pale skin from the sunlight, making daisy chains in the grass with a stupid happy grin plastered all over my face. I hadn't been able to shake it ever since we got together, the high of Rye being mine the most powerful one of all. I'd been willing to give him his time to go public with our relationship but it turned out Rye hadn't really needed it. The first party we went to consisted of him making out with me for a solid couple hours on the dance floor for anyone and everyone to see, Rye determined to make sure that absolutely everybody knew just how happy he was. And God, it felt good to be the one he was proud to be with.

All the air was knocked out of my lungs as a heavy body suddenly landed on top of me.

"Ouch," I groaned, hearing Rye's chuckle as he leaned down to pepper kisses all over my face until I could breathe normally again.

"You're sweaty," I complained, squirming beneath him. Rye took my hands in his so I couldn't fight anymore and pinned them above my head.

"Like you mind," he smirked, leaning down to kiss me, his tongue getting between my teeth straight away. He was right. I didn't.

"You got any energy left after all that training?" I asked, feeling Rye smile against my mouth. He rolled his hips down against mine.

"Oh yeah."