"No," I reply. "Twenty-four hours in here."

"Fuck," she mutters. "I'm in for eight."

"Can you tell me about the rules?" I ask, leaning back back against the cold, rough wall. It's better than the other side of the room, having found that out by stumbling into the big metal spikes earlier. I need to know about these damn rules, I never want to be back in this cell again.

"Apparently they are Germain's way to keep us in line. Number one says that you're married, must remain faithful to one another, no cheating," Kayla announces and I immediately let my head fall to my chest. I can one hundred percent, without a doubt, confirm that both Zac and I have broken that one already, Zac within the first two hours.

"Great."

"Number two, at least one baby must be born within three years," she continues. "Three, maintain your home to a decent standard, they will carry out inspections. Four, you must collect your rations together," she reels off and I squeeze my eyes shut, unsure of how I will ever remember all of this. "Five, must attend every monthly town meeting. Six, you are equally responsible for everything your partner does," she mutters and I almost smirk. I certainly am paying for Zac's mistakes so far. "There are more but I forget." She slouches down against me.

"That's okay," I reply softly. "Thanks."

"So, your husband is a dick so far?"

"Yep," I confirm. "How's yours?"

"Good in bed," she admits and I can't help the small smile that spreads across my face. I'm glad one of us is having fun. "That's why I went to the shop without him, thought he deserved a lie in after our strenuous activity last night."

"It'll be over before you know it," I lie through my teeth, knowing that this space makes time stand still, forces you to beg for mercy over and over again. A sudden squeaking from the other side of the room grabs my attention and I grimace, knowing that it's all about to start again.

"What's that?" Kayla exclaims, hand tightening around mine in a vice like grip.

"The rats," I reply bluntly.

"Rats?" She squeals.

"Yep," I confirm. She doesn't even want to know what comes next.

*~*~*

I turn the key in the lock and shove the door open, slightly startled to find it unlocked

I turn the key in the lock and shove the door open, slightly startled to find it unlocked. Does Emilia only lock it when she's out?

Stepping into the dark house, I flick the lights on and glance around, no sign of life as I shut the door behind me. Chucking the keys onto the table by the door I make my way upstairs, wondering where the girl is.

Glancing into the main bedroom I see it's empty, all her girlie shit sprawled out across the double bed. The bathroom door is wide open, showing me that there's no chance of her being in there. Heading for the last room, I look over it quickly, a bare single bed shoved against the wall. Where the fuck is she? Has she gone out? Where did she go?