Chapter 5 - Me And My Stupid Conscience

- Jasmine -
What is this feeling I have right now? Oh god, is it guilt. I haven't even started spying yet but I feel guilty?!

Is it right for a girlfriend to spy on her boyfriend? Wait. I'm not spying I'm just looking out for him.Yeah I'm just being cautious.

"Jasmine, are you even listening to what I'm saying?" Zoe broke through my thoughts.

"Ah yeah, right whatever you say Zoe." I smile at her wondering whether she can see my confusion.

"The square route of Pi is whatever I say? Wow. So I'm the teller of all. Come on Jazz, what's going on with you? Ever since our first day you've been in another universe."

I take a deep breath wondering what to tell her. What was there to tell her? Maybe I should just tell her about Indiana and I becoming friends. But what if Indi tells her aboutthe spying stuff. What would Zoe think of me? And worse what if she told Dylan? Those two didn't keep anything from each other.

"I've just had a lot of work to do from dance class. We're learning a dance and it's complicated. I have to keep up, you understand right Zozy?"

"All you had to do was tell me, you're a goose Jazz." She laughed.

I turned back to my chemistry textbook, not that I was actually reading it.

I could see Corey and Dylan tossing a football to each other but there was no sign of Wes. Indi was over by the stands practising with her squad.

Maybe I need to be out there more, like if I joined the cheerleading squad I could be down there more often. I stared harder at the line of trees at the far end of the oval, I could make out shapes. Then one of them stepped out of the shade. Wes. What does that guy do all day besides hanging around the oval?

"Hey Zoe, I'm gonna take a walk and be back soon this chemistry is really getting boring."

"Oh okay. See you when you get back."

I closed my textbook and walked over to the door, and out into the corridor. A line of girls was coming towards me blocking the whole corridor. I stopped wondering what to say or do.

"Excuse me." I mumbled and they didn't move. "I said excuse me." I spoke louder this time. Still nobody moved so I shoved through the middle of the line and kept walking.

"Hey! What do you think your doing?" A girl called out forcing me to stop and turn back to them.

"Just walking down the corridor." I say.

"Oh wait a second ladies, this is the great Corey Anderson's little half blind girlfriend." She sneered, and her friends laughed.

"Oh shut up Gemma. Your just pissed because she's with the guy you like." Indi's voice came from behind as she strolled up beside me.

"Well well well, if it isn't the girl who only got into this college with a cheerleading scholarship. What's the matter Indiana, too dumb at everything else." Gemmasneered back at Indi.

"Well if you're so smart then what the hell are you doing in this college anyway? Or are you too dumb to answer." I replied sharply.

Gemma was silent for a moment as if she hadn't been expecting me to speak to her that way. "Oh look Indi, it seems she's forgotten how to talk." I said turning and walking away.

"Just you wait, this is not over." Gemma called after me.

I just kept walking not even bothering to react to her comment. Indi wasn't behind me she'd disappeared into one of the near by dorm.

Corey and Dylan were now packing up from football practise. I walked up to Corey smiling.

"Hey, how was practise?" I asked.

"Fine." He murmured.

"I was thinking we could hang out in the library tonight. You know catch up."

"Look Jasmine, I can't okay. I'm just really busy right now, and I just need to get things out of the way."

I looked at my shoes. He never called me Jasmine, it was always sweetheart.

"Look Jasmine I'm sor-"

"Sorry for getting in your way." I interupted and then swung on my and walked away.

I didn't walk back toward the dorms, I was walking toward the trees where I'd seen Wes earlier. It was time to meet this shady as guy that nobody ever really talked about. I just hoped this wasn't a trap.

I walked round the biggest tree and there was Wes and his gang. I stood there with my arms folded and glared straight into his eyes. Now I could really see all his features, shoulder length brown hair with brown eyes and he was the same height as Corey.

"Do you know who I am?" I asked, tilting me head to the side a tad.

"Do you know who I am?" He mirrored my question.

"Yeah you're Wes the dickhead." I spat angrily. His friends started oohing from behind him.

"You must be Corey's girlfriend, he said you were a firecracker." Wes responded.

"Stay away from him or you'll be sorry." I narrowed my eyes. Wes stared taking steps toward me until he was standing over me.

"You really don't know who you're talking to do you?"

"What are you gonna do hit a girl you coward." I said struggleing to stop my voice from shaking.

"Oh no, I wouldn't hit you." he said and then shoved me and I fell losing my glasses on the way down.

Everything became a blur and I started feeling around for my glasses. I felt a foot step lightly on my hand, "Oh you're not going anywhere yet, I'm not finished with you." Wes's voice came from above me. I was scaredi couldn't see andi was surrounded by boy what would they do to me?