05: CHOICES.

Alaba never wanted to be an auxiliary nurse, it all was her parents idea. They pressured her against her wish with excuses that if she was a nurse, she could treat herself when she got sick and any other member of the family. It was going to cost the family less expenses and add respect to the family's name.

"People will call me, Mama nurse," Alaba's mother raised her shoulder high and spoke with pride, "And you see, my dear daughter, when you pass by, people will show you respect."

Grumbling, Alaba disagreed, "Mama, I don't want to be a nurse."

"Will you shut up there?" Alaba's father yelled at her, "It's nursing or nothing else."

Her father had stamped it. There was nothing she could do other than to comply against her wish. By the way, it was better than sitting idle at home.

Two weeks of work, Alaba noticed she couldn't do anything right. She was always making mistakes that led to other complications because it wasn't what she was passionate about. Her hands shook out of fear whenever she was to inject someone. The sight of blood makes her cringe and she couldn't stand the stale stench of blood. When a sick patient throws up, Alaba does too. When a pregnant woman on labour cries, she cries with her. Any time a patient gave up the ghost, she'd cry and blame herself for the death.

It became worse, when a new born baby she loved died on her arms. Alaba felt like a murderer. She cried and even had palpitation. The pain was just too much that she began to dwell in depression. She had red soggy eyes and bag eyes but nobody at home seemed to notice it or maybe they didn't care.

Day after day, Alaba cried, unable to face human misery. It was more sickening because she couldn't quit for her father was going to kill her if she ever did. She badly needed someone to talk to and that's when she came to me.

She told me everything. How she was having frequent palpitation coupled with frustration. How depression had become her companion and how no body seems to care about her at home.

"My parent's choice has ruined my life." She sobbed into her hands.

I tried to comfort her as I kept telling her that things were going to get better with time. But was it ever going to be?

Many times, I seat beside my window and think about Alaba. What she was going through, was all because her parents had chosen her career choice for her. Only if they had permitted her to make her own decisions, things wouldn't have been so bad for her.

Anytime I think of my dear cousin, Alaba, and how everything had affected her mental health, I just want to scream to the world and tell them these words;

Let your children decide!

Don't tell them what to study!

Their choices matters too!

©love_richie
The storyteller.