It's Not Heaven, But It's Year Seven!

I turned over to look at my digital clock. It read 10:16pm. I need to get to sleep. It's Thursday night, and I go back to school tomorrow. Not primary school, but SECONDARY SCHOOL! High school, big kid school, whatever you want to call it, but I'm there, in year seven, at Christian's Catholic College. My older sister Audrey calls in the triple C. Audrey will be in year 10 this year. Audrey sounds like a real girly name. And she looks like Audrey Hepburn. Really pretty. But she's not pretty harmless. She's pretty naughty! She comes home late pretty much every day, because she's been in detention. That's why the boys like her, because she's "hot" and a rebel. My brother Ashton will be in year 12. Ashton's a genius. I hope he can help me with my homework. He wants to be a scientist. I hope he's a mad scientist, so he can laugh evilly. That would be cool. Ashton's got a girlfriend, Tori. Tori's nice... And the youngest of our family, Skye will be in grade 5. Skye's a bit absent-minded - her head goes off into the sky! Get it? Sky? Skye?! Anyway. I'm so glad I'm leaving my crummy primary school, which Skye still goes to. I used to go to Glenhaven Public School. Boring name, yes I know. I can't wait for tomorrow. On orientation day, we got our homerooms and stuff. I have the nicest teacher! Miss Melrose in 7D. She's young, and apparently always has her hair tied up in a cute little pony-tail, so Audrey tells me. But who would trust Audrey?

But probably the worst problem with this year is that I don't have any friends. Well, sort of. My cousin Lexi is in my grade. She was in my class last year. I didn't hang 'round with her at the start of last year, but during the middle of the year, my friends just dumped me. Decided I wasn't good enough for them. But I'm over them now. They're all going to a different school, thank God. So now I guess I'll have to chill with Lexi. I rolled over, and there was Lexi sound asleep. Oh yeah, she's staying the night here for two reasons - A), her parents are away somewhere, and B), we're going to walk to school together. I don't want to look like I'm a loner on my first day. Pfft! Lexi's mouth was twitching a bit, and then she rolled over. I rolled over again, and shut my eyes...

***

'Belle! Belle, wake up! It's 7:30!'

I strained my eyes as I adjusted them to the light.

'It's our first day!' bounced Lexi. She ran down the hall.

Audrey walked passed my door. 'Get up you lazy sloth.'

I narrowed my eyes at her. Then Ashton walked passed. 'Great day for school, eh Belle?'

'Sure,' I said.

Then mum walked passed. 'Breakfast is ready, hun.'

'Mum, should I wear a dress or a skirt today?' asked Skye as she followed mum.

'Well, if you were to wear a skirt, I suggest you wear a t-shirt as well,' I said.

I pulled back my covers and got out of bed. Oh my God. I'm in year seven! I secretly skipped happily down the hall. Lexi was eating Fruit Loops at the table. I poured myself some Special K.

'I hate that stuff,' crunched Lexi.

'Well, at least I don't run on sugar,' I said, eyeing her Fruit Loops.

'What, its yum!' she whined.

I rolled my eyes and scooped up some cereal.  

After I'd finished slobbering up my cereal, I got dressed. The school girls' school uniform had a dress that went to my knees with navy blue and white checks, and/or a white polo shirt and a skirt or shorts. The skirts were tight, and girls wore them higher than their butt, and the shorts were tight and looked weird. I didn't want to look skanky, so I just got a dress. But the worst thing about the dresses is that they're all starchy and scratchy. Lexi had a skirt, which I'm not surprised about. She had left her gorgeous brown hair out, with a big pink ribbon in the back. I, however, scrunched my thin, ratty, disgusting brown hair into a ball on top of my head. I've always hated my hair.