XLIV. Winners and Losers

West found Sasha in her villa three days later, his face filled with outrage.

"You said you will only be here for a day," he told her as he stormed into her parlor while she was writing a letter.

"I had matters to attend to," Sasha said, turning her head to face him.

West frowned. She looked different, guarded.

Then she smiled, but it did not reach her eyes.

She stood and kissed him. "I missed you. How did it go with Willoghby?"

West blinked and sighed. "The bastard is not talking," he informed her. "It seems he enjoys the torture."

Her brows cocked high. "Torture, really?"

He looked over his shoulder and reached for her hand. "Finish what you have to do. I want you home."

Her weak smile caused him alarm. "West, will I still be your Belle?"

His brows fused. "You will be my wife."

She smiled and turned away.

Turning away from the conversation and him. West always knew what he needed to do, but with Sasha, he always found himself lost.

He watched her gather the letter and ring for Iyana who arrived fast.

"Please send this to Belcourt, Iyana."

Iyana nodded, gave West a quick bow. "The gratitude of the household is overdue, but we still desire to thank you for saving her life, sir. We owe you ours."

West did not reply and simply watched Iyana exit the room.

"I wish to go home to Everleigh," Sasha said behind him.

Home and Everleigh were the two words he only wanted to come out of Sasha's lips, but a nagging feeling was telling him not to be swayed.

He faced her. "Why?"

She grinned, her eyes glistening. "I wish to see the meadow. I am certain the flowers are in full bloom by now."

Something was not right. "Sasha, are you quite all right?"

She nodded. "Yes. I am... I simply have a hard time trying to understand everything."

His jaw tightened and he nodded. He had spent the last few days planning and she could have been doing the same.

Something happened while she was in the Palace and he could only assume the worst.

And while at the carriage, West could not help but think that he might be losing her.

She seemed distant as she looked out the window, pretending to enjoy the country landscape.

He had time, he thought. She would not disappear like his mother did because she was different.

In time, they should trust each other.

A soft rain poured before they reached Everleigh. West followed Sasha up to his bedchamber where she immediately discarded her pelisse. Clad in her light blue muslin dress, she went to the window.

West followed, wrapping his arm around her from behind as he nuzzled her neck, inhaling her scent. "Tell me what is wrong."

He felt her shook her head. "Nothing is wrong, West. As I have said, I had much to understand, but I believe I understand them now."

He took a sidestep, turning her with him until he was leaning against the windowsill and she turned to face him, her palms resting on his chest as she gazed at him with searching eyes. And there was also something there.