XVII | Announcements

"No, Bree, Lady Renee is still the Marchioness of Rothsker. She never bore her late husband an heir before his passing."

"Yes, I understand," Briana said to Iyana. "Her nephew inherited Rothsker and is now missing."

"Mayhap hiding somewhere. I heard he has so much debt the Marchioness had to rescue Humbrick from him, thus making her the mistress of the manor."

"But her nephew is the Marquess. She cannot claim the title—"

"Whyever not? Of course, she can! Would you not agree, my lady?"

Sasha looked away from the window of the bedchamber assigned to her, tearing her eyes off the garden below. "What?"

"Bree is insisting that Lady Renee is not the Marchioness of Rothsker."

"She is still the Marchioness as there is no known heir, and the present Marquess, her husband's nephew who has gone missing, has none either. She retains her title."

"See, Bree? I was right!"

Briana rolled her eyes. "Of course, you are."

"And contrary to what they say, I believe the Marchioness herself is keeping her nephew prisoner somewhere in this estate."

Briana and Sasha shared a look.

"Well, it could be true! If he marries, the Marchioness shall lose her title, yes?"

"But she would still have Humbrick. It is a rather vast estate. She also owns the tiny island across from here, are you aware of that?" asked Briana. "She would not find a need for her title. Her husband left her enough."

"Yet her nephew might take it all back if he resurfaces. Best keep the man hidden. That is if he is still alive."

"Goodness, Iyana, where have you been getting all these stories?"

"I heard the other maids talking earlier."

"Best we mind our own business," Briana said, looking around the room. "Where is the other trunk?"

"Which trunk?"

"The green one."

"I do not know. Did we bring a green trunk?"

"Yes, we did! You carried it yourself!" Briana cried in frustration. "Now we must look for it."

"Go on, then. I will have to help Lady Sasha with her gown and hair."

Briana helplessly sighed.

Sasha sent her a smile before she left.

"Now, my lady, we should start preparing you for the ball tonight. I have heard enough about Humbrick Ball. They say that many things happen here."

"As I have heard."

"But we never truly heard of the details, have we?"

"Mrs. Compton's maid, the petite one who always has a green ribbon on her wrist, has a cousin who works here and even her cousin refuses to share any detail of what happens during the Humbrick Ball. Do you think the Marchioness executes harsher punishments that Belcourt?"

Sasha just absently nodded and shook her head.

"I should say Belcourt has things to learn from Lady Renee. Whatever she has done to make everyone who attends Humbrick follow her rule, Belcourt must know. I cannot gather one story—not one! How is that even possible? Most people outside Belcourt are by now aware that we have a lake. Yet with this famous Humbrick Ball, no one would dare say a word."