𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒪𝓃𝑒

𝐸𝓁𝒾𝑒:

--

When a dragon touches an object, an instant connection is made. Things that are unspoken become alive in the mind of the holder. The innate knowledge, like lightning striking the ground is passed on to survive another generation. The object's secret histories are revealed and everything is understood between the two.

A bump in the road knocked the book from Elie's hands, regretfully returning him back to the small cabin of the palanquin. "Oh." He reached to the edge of the pile of pillows and retrieved the fallen book, sliding the lavender tome into his satchel.

They had left Umbra before dawn. He found out last night he would be getting married, and he would be moving to Solaris in three days time to stand by his new wife.

His knight sat across from him, looking out the rounded stain-glass window. Her false leg was crossed over her armored one and her golden barrettes sparkled like stars in the dark clouds of her hair.

He coughed, folding his hands on his knees. "I've always wanted to visit the Sun Kingdom..." He mused aloud, looking out his window at the passing trees with tiny pink blossoms. A dull ache entered his chest. Did they have trees like this in Solaris? "I just never thought it would be like this..." He feigned a small airy laugh, leaning his head against the wall. "I wonder if I will ever love her...? Or if she will love me...?" It was a real concern, even if it had slipped it out somewhat carelessly.

Nova's grey-black eyes caught his, her smooth amber skin flushing. She put her hand on his knee, her platinum-colored pauldrons clinking against her chest plate. 

He sensed the heated gaze from beside him of his sister Alva, The Queen.

The knight's cherubic features didn't budge, keeping her attention forward to him. "Well, I've heard the Sun Princess is a very kind girl. An amazing warrior, and isn't that what we need more of...?"

"A warrior...?" His sister piped up, she folded up her painted fan, snapping it against her lap. "Who cares...? She's simple and built like a wildebeest, " She raised her chin, her pile of pearl threaded hair slipping forward. Her small painted lips pressed into a frown. "However, you're right. At least she's...kind." She folded her hands inside her magenta bell-sleeved top, the edges of her dark hair trailing over the cushions behind her.

"Stiff upper lip, Eleutherius." She snapped her eyes to him, using his full name. Her tiny, over-plucked brows lowered over her eyes. "Get the idea of love out of your head... " Her jaw was somewhat clenched. "Our fool of a mother chose love over duty, and look what it got her..." She hissed.

"Oh..." Elie's lids fell over his eyes as he stared down at the hand he hadn't realized he had laid over his knight's. "...You mean me, sister?" He removed it, his mouth curling into a feigned smile.

Nova clenched her teeth, pulling back her hand from his leg. She laid her fingers across the handle of her chained mace instead, propped up in the seat beside her.

"Oh, my baby brother..." The Queen took hold of his face, forcing it towards her, her copper eyes shining into his. "Now, just because you were our mother's bastard... It doesn't mean you can't serve your nation to your best ability..."

That word hung in the air. Others often told him he favored his mother, eerily so. Peach blossom eyes, slender, delicate features, and an elegant, willowy stature. He agreed to disagree. But it was his white hair, tan skin, and strange yellow eyes that truly set him apart from his family. Lying had been the proper thing to do for his father's pride. And up until his death, it wasn't something that any dared speak of. However, everyone knew. Everyone.