Chapter 16

This is it. This is the day that I'm done. Done with this faction, done with this stupid hair, done with Marcus. I get up out of bed and get ready as quickly as possible. Today I do my hair differently than normal. I curl it first and then braid it all the way around. Making it look kind of like a crown around the back of my head. It's out there, and way different than Abnegation buns. I also put on a gray sweater I don't wear as much. It's not as long as an Abnegation robe and goes down only to my thighs. It's my favorite article of clothing, and when Marcus found out he told me to not wear it again because "having a favorite piece of cloth is selfish". It's not like he could do anything about it now. I make my way downstairs and Marcus looks a bit shocked, but not as shocked as the first time when Tobias was around 3 years ago. I grab a piece of toast and sit down, not bothering to acknowledge Marcus's reaction, just like the first time. To my surprise, he doesn't say anything.

"Do you know your decision for today?" Marcus asks

I nod, and for the first time, I think I do know what faction to choose. Of course, it's not Abnegation like Marcus expects but it is somewhere I want so badly to fit in. So badly to be happy.

I get up and put my dish in the sink. I am about to reach for Marcus's plate but then stop myself. I shouldn't have to take it for him, it's not my responsibility anymore. I turn to go put my plate in the sink, and feel a sting on my back. Marcus has stood up from his chair pulled out his belt from around his waist. The sudden movement takes me a aback, causing me to fall, and the dish to break on the floor. I manage to get out of the way before he has a chance to hit me again. Marcus then grabs me and pins me against the wall, his arm pressed against my throat stopping any air from entering. I feel my face begin to turn red and then Marcus says, "You will choose Abnegation today at the ceremony. If you decline or disobey I will either kill you right here, or kill you in Erudite, Amity, or Candor."

"And what about Dauntless?" I manage to say, looking him in they eye. 

"You're not brave enough for that," He says. He keeps his arm on my neck and says "Understood?". I manage to bring up my knee and knee him in the gut. He loses a bit of strength against my neck so I take it as a chance to repeat the action. This time he falls to the floor, and I quickly grab my bag and run out the door. I feel the side of my face stinging, and I touch it and see blood on my finger. I must have cut myself from the glass plate. I use my sleeve to wipe away the blood from the cut, and eventually get closer to the middle and go into the crowd. I make it to the hub and find Ely and Hannah. I don't bother mentioning what happened, I'm about to leave anyway. All the factions start to arrive and go to their seats, and I see Marcus walk in. He still looks a little red but makes his way over to his seat, his arm closer to his gut,  without saying anything to anyone. I wave bye to Ely and Hannah and go sit in my seat which is next to him.

"You know, I don't think I would belong in Candor even if I wanted too. I'm too good at lying" I smile.

"Excuse me?" Marcus says, keeping his gaze forward. 

"I mean, I'm just really good at lying." I say Innocently  "Like for the past 3 years when I claimed I was mad at Tobias for 'leaving me' "

"You should hate him," Marcus tells me

"I only hate you. We both do" I say.  "But I wanna let you know that whatever faction I choose today, it won't be yours. Because whether or not you think so, I am enough for myself .I don't need to choose a certain faction for me to remember that."

"Don't get cocky. Remember what I told you at home" He says

"It's a house, not a home. We both know you can't do anything that will change my decision. Your weak, whether or not you would like to admit it."

"Weak" He laughs "You're a girl who doesn't know what she's talking about"

"You're fine with giving everyone else pain but can't take any for yourself. That's weak"

He ignores that comment and says "You don't have the bravery to leave Abnegation" 

"Watch me." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Rose Eaton" Jeanine Matthew calls. I breathe out through my mouth, and shut my eyes for a second before standing up. 

"Goodbye Marcus" I say standing,  loud enough that the family sitting in the row above us has  gotten confused looks on their faces. I make my way down the steps- trying to ignore the stares from Abnegation- and over to the bowls. I'm still not sure what to pick even as I stand in front of the bowls. I lie too much to be in Candor. Erudite only like to talk about cells for 24 hours. Dauntless are so brave. But Amity is happy. I cut my hand and squinch at the sting. I then put my hand over Amity, and the blood starts to pile up, ready to fall into the bowl. Will you be happy now Rose? I hesitate, but right as the blood is about to fall in,  I move my hand over to the Dauntless bowl, and hear the blood sizzle. The decision is final, I'm Dauntless.

"Dauntless" Jeanine states. "You'll see your brother again" Jeanine whispers so only I can hear and smiles. I smile back at her and she gives me a nod. I always wondered why everyone hated Jeanine so much. The Dauntless then roar in the background and I turn. I make my way to the Dauntless and glance over at Marcus. He's angry but his expression is stone cold. I go stand with the rest of the Dauntless Initiates and people clap me on the back. I can be brave. I can be free. I am Divergent. 

Authors Note: Oh my god, she finally left! I hope you liked this chapter, I've been wanting to write it ever since I started writing this fanfic, and I think Rose's decision was expected but still surprising at the same time. Please make sure to keep reading to see Rose make it into Dauntless and see Tobias again, vote, share, and comment! Thanks, love you all! 😁♥

-Violet