Chapter 2

I hadn't realized how long I was thinking until Tobias knocked on my door and came inside.

"Morning," He said.

" Morning" I replied.

" Breakfast is done, so come down when you're ready so we can get going for the test," Tobias told me.

"yeah, I'll be down there soon," I say smiling

"Ok". Then he goes downstairs and I start to get ready. I pick out my clothes, a boring gray shirt, and the abnegation robes. I've never liked the clothes at Abnegation. They just had nothing special about them. I know the whole point is to not induce self vanity, but we don't have to make ourselves lifeless by our clothing. I make my way to the bathroom and brush my teeth. Then I take a quick cold shower and tie my hair into a bun. I make my way downstairs and see Marcus and Tobias sitting at the table. Tobias looking tense, as always, when he's around Marcus. They both look over at me as I make my way to the table, where Tobias has already placed my food.

"Finally you made it, shouldn't take you that long to get ready," Marcus says

" I apologize, sir, I'll be quicker next time" I reply

He drinks a sip of his coffee, and I bite into my bread.

"Tobias, you're set for the test today, aren't you?" Marcus asks

" Yes sir, I think it'll be alright" Tobias replies, looking at the table

" Remember what I told you, if they ask, say you weren't aware during the simulation," Marcus says

"Yes sir" Tobias replies, head still down

"HEY!" Marcus slams his fist on the table, making Tobias and I flinch. "Look me in the eye when I talk to you boy. I didn't raise my son to be a coward," Marcus says.

"Yes sir," Tobias says while looking Marcus in the eyes.

He then continues as nothing happened. Like he didn't just lose his temper again, and it's only 8 in the morning. " I won't be going with you today Tobias, - Yeah because you don't want to be seen with us in public when it's not necessary -, Rosemary will you be going with him?" Marcus asks.

" Yes, some of my abnegation friends from school are helping Ms. Smith today after the tests, and I will be joining them" I say, lying. My father could never tell if I was lying or telling the truth  and, although our father can't tell when I lie, Tobias can. After I say that I am volunteering, Tobias glances at me across the table and then looks down again.

"Very well" Marcus replies and then continues to drink his coffee. I don't enjoy the same activities other Abnegation kids do. I don't look forward to volunteering, or feeding the factionless. Just like I don't volunteer in a certain place to see a certain person, like all the guys and girls who like each other do. I don't have many friends at school, it's because i'm distant- and because i'm in Abnegation and people make fun of us all the time at school- and neither does Tobias cause he's the same.

The truth is, I want to go with Tobias to the tests today because I want to convince him that he doesn't need to stay in Abnegation. He thinks it's what's best for the family, and he wants to try to keep the family intact, and keep me safe. Although there's no fixing this broken house of ours. I want to prove to him that though we're in Abnegation now, we have to make choices for ourselves. Not only do I want to be free, but I want Tobias to be free too. Free from Abnegation.

Authors Note: How was that chapter? It's long I know, but I hope you liked it! Make sure to comment if you liked it and want more, and tell me what you would want to see next. Thank you for reading, it means more to me than you would think. 😁♥

-Violet