Bonus Chapter: Reunited

00:00

There lived an old man in a small house next to a certain bakery. Adrien Agreste, former piano prodigy. The ninety-year-old had no children or grandchildren of his own. He had no wife, either. But he didn't mind, though, because he still had his best friends. Plus, he simply despised the idea of having anyone else other than Marinette.

The bakery, which used to belong to the Dupain-Chengs, was now being run by the Lahiffes after its founders had passed away. The daughter of the elderly couple that retired from owning the bakery was named after none other than the former baker's daughter: Marinette Dupain-Cheng Lahiffe. She was currently in her mid thirties and had two kids, who referred to Adrien as "grandpa". That alone was enough to fill the void of not having his own biological grandkids.

The elderly man laid down on the bed in his small bedroom, eyes glued to the TV screen while the last Ladybug and Chat Noir movie played onscreen. Adrien's lips curled up ever so slightly as the memories of his would-be wife flooded through him. She always said he was like Chat Noir. Likewise, she was like Ladybug. His Ladybug. Perhaps, there may just be an alternate universe where the two of them lived on together as the protectors of Paris.

A knock came from his bedroom door, and Adrien paused the movie. Marinette was most likely at the door. She stopped by a couple times a week to keep him company or deliver food and necessities to him. Adrien called for her to enter, and a woman with tanned skin and brown, wavy hair stepped inside. In her hand was a paper bag from her bakery just down the street.

"Hi Uncle," Marinette greeted, "I brought you some croissants. I know they were always your favorite"

Adrien smiled at her kind gesture, "Thank you, little butterfly"

Marinette set the paper bag on the bedside table and faced the elderly man. She stepped up to the bed and sat down at the edge, looking down at the floor.

"You're worried about your father, aren't you?" Adrien asked.

Marinette nodded, "He hasn't been eating or drinking, and he spent the past couple weeks in bed"

Nino's timer had stopped counting down four months ago—the amount of time that was left on Alya's timer before her passing. Adrien knew that his time was coming soon, too. But he couldn't tell her that, not when he was her only source of comfort at the moment.

"Death is harsh and inevitable," Adrien said softly, "It always takes the best people first"

Marinette nodded, "By the way, my parents forbade me from asking you this question. It's regarding my name. You don't have to tell me anything if you don't want to, though"

Her name. Marinette, the girl he fell in love with. The one who gave him happiness when he was younger.

"Go on," Adrien permitted.

"I know I was named after a good friend of yours and my parents. The only thing they told me was that she passed away when you guys were in college," Marinette began, "If you don't mind, can you tell me more about her?"

Good friend. Adrien chuckled lightly at those two words.

"She was more than a good friend. To me at least," Adrien began, "She was the most beautiful girl in the world. She shined brighter than the sun and was my other half. She was everything to me, and I loved her more than anyone"

He wanted to continue, but was unable to. Words can't possibly describe the love he had for the bluenette.

Marinette smiled sadly, "I guess I shouldn't be holding her name, then. She sounded like a great person"