00:35:00 - 00:49:00

WIPE TO:

EXT. NABOO - JUNGLE TALKER'S CAMP

Firelight plays on Obi-Wan's face, though he is unconscious. Someone throws water on him, and he sputters awake. The Jungle Leader chuckles as he steps back with the washing bowl. There's a bonfire nearby, and several Jungle warriors standing guard and watching him. Obi-Wan groans, tries to move, finds that he is tied.

He fixes his gaze on the Jungle Leader.

OBI-WAN: You will untie me.

The Jungle Leader just laughs again.

OBI-WAN (to himself): Got to work on my mind tricks...

Then Obi-Wan realizes something else, of even greater concern.

OBI-WAN: Where's my lightsaber?

STRANGE VOICE: Here.

Obi-Wan looks to the side of the bonfire to a huge, ancient tree. Its sprawling branches reach far into the sky; each one could be a healthy tree of its own. But at the dark trunk of the tree there are two bright green eyes glowing. Obi-Wan can't quite make out the nature of this tree-being.

OBI-WAN: Who are you?

STRANGE VOICE: I am Tree-Droid.

Obi-Wan peers closer, and finally sees it. A very old android is engulfed in the trunk of the tree; the tree has somehow grown around and imprisoned the android over decades, perhaps centuries. The android's legs and waist are lost under the layers of hardened, mossy bark. Beyond the tree is the moonlit-outline of one of the massive temple ruins that Obi-Wan saw from the air.

OBI-WAN: Pardon me, 'Tree-Droid', but there seems to have been a mistake.

The droid looks at him, then beckons him to be brought closer. Obi-Wan sees his own lightsaber in Tree-Droid's hand. Obi-Wan's captors come and move him forward by both shoulders.

Much closer now, Tree-Droid peers at him closely.

OBI-WAN: Look, if this is about the shuttle, I can explain. I'm Obi-Wan Kenobi, a Jedi of the Galactic Republic.

Somewhat threateningly, the droid ignites the lightsaber between them while they are still in close quarters.

TREE-DROID: Only an apprentice, it would seem. Where is your master?

OBI-WAN (taken aback): We were separated. We--we were sent here to help you. To expose the Trade Federation and liberate Naboo!

TREE-DROID: I see. I shall translate.

Tree-Droid deactivates the lightsaber and speaks to the assembly of warriors in their native tongue. The warriors mull this over and seem to argue among themselves.

OBI-WAN (to the droid): Forgive me for asking, but what are you?

TREE-DROID: I am an acolyte android from the days the temple. I was abandoned, deactivated for centuries, until the Jungle Talkers restored my power.

OBI-WAN: Jungle Talkers?

TREE-DROID: This tribe. These grounds are sacred to them. Descendants of the old Jaddin monastics who once dwelt here.

Obi-Wan looks around, taking in the ruins in a new light.

OBI-WAN: ...a Jaddin temple?

TREE-DROID: Indeed. Do you not know the Jaddin?