Intro

They say that memories warm you up from the inside.

The sun was dimming, slowly slipping under the dark ocean ahead. It was always like that. Colourless. Peaceful. Silent. The sound of the waves hitting the shore was one of the only coherent things in his life.

But memories also tear you apart.

The inside fabric of his pockets felt rough on his hands—as did the sand on his bare feet.

In the distance, a lone gull cried, longing for its flock.

There are memories that time does not erase. Forever does not make them forgettable, only bearable.

A light breeze washed over him, whistling and whispering soundless words that he could not understand. His skin prickled as if a bucket of cold water was thrown at him.

Memories were dangerous things. He'd turn them over and over, until he knew every notch and corner, but he'd still find an edge that cut him. An edge that made him bleed.

The world went dark as he closed his eyes, a light sigh leaving his lips. It hurt to breathe. The freezing air around him had turned his lungs into ice and with each second that passed, it was harder to stay still. And, as he opened his eyes, the dark ocean was all that he could see. The sun had long since gone down and the abyssal darkness had taken root, stretching for miles and miles.

He breathed out and barely visible steam left his pale lips.

With the sun's disappearance, there was nothing left to warm him up.

It was time to go.

He lightly bent down, pale hands taking hold of a pair of shoes and socks. His cold feet were thankful for it, he was sure of that.

The sand crunched beneath his heavy shoes as he turned his back to the ocean.

~ ¤ || ¤ || ¤ ~

"Memories don't get destroyed. You get destroyed because of them."