BBQ Daze

I drove my big, black Chevy Suburban over to Lindsay's little apartment just outside of town. It was a quaint little place with a nice yard out front to do something with. Lindsay didn't have much of a green thumb, but I did. It was one of the hobbies I took up a year ago to keep me occupied. 

I parked behind the big victorian style house that held three apartments and hopped out of the SUV. Lindsay was already walking out the front door onto the porch.

"I can drive if you want me to." She replied, showing me the keys in her left hand. 

"Ok." I locked up my vehicle and met her next to the jeep.

"We just have to stop at the convenience store and grab some beer."

We pulled out onto the main roads of town to grab the beer then headed back towards Lindsay's apartment. We drove by her road and kept going. I thought we were going to the pond to hang out, but we were going in the opposite direction. I didn't ask. I trusted Lindsay. Even though she was a wild child, she had my best interests in mind and would never do anything sketchy. She did have morals for herself as well. Although, sometimes I thought those were questionable.

We kept driving for about fifteen more minutes until we reached a long driveway with a black iron gate at the end. The gate was already open. Lindsay pulled in like she had been here before and drove all the way up to a beautiful log cabin style home. There was a huge deck looking over the property. Windows for days. Woods all around. A nice sized yard on either end of the house. The landscaping was gorgeous. Rose bushes and wonderfully placed flower beds. 

I had never seen anything like it. Not around our little town. Yes, there were beautiful homes and sweet neighbors. But nothing this expansive. "Who lives here?"

"Kolby." Lindsay answered, taking her sunglasses off, placing them in the center console.

There was no way that Kolby could live here alone. He did have a great job and worked hard. But this was more.

I gave Lindsay a questionable look. She had a small smirk on her face. Before she got out of the car she turned to me. "Brantley lives here too."

What. All she had divulged was that we would be having a few drinks and probably a bonfire out of town. I assumed it was with a bunch of people I didn't know again, just like the other night. Except for Jack. I did know him. However, his girlfriend was like a prison guard. I never got to catch back up with him. 

I sat in the car for another minute before I got out. I guess I am here now. I might as well enjoy it the best way I can.

Lindsay waited for me before we headed over to the left side of the house where everyone was gathered. There were only about nine or ten other people. People I recognized somewhat from another get together I had gone too awhile back. There was a baby blue Yeti cooler against the corner of the house. It was open and filled with ice and water bottles. There were a couple cans of beer until Lindsay added the nearly 50 bottles we brought. The grill was fired up. The smell of hot dogs and bbq chicken wafting through the warm air. A folding table was set up next to the grill with a bunch of salads, chips, and condiments. Paper plates and plastic forks to one side. This was a regular American bbq. My favorite. 

"Hey," A familiar voice said, coming closer.

"Hey." I replied as Lindsay gave Kolby a quick peck on the cheek and a tight hug. 

"Beer and water are cold, going to get a fire going in a little bit. Food is almost done." Kolby took a long swig of his beer to finish off the can and threw it in a nearby garbage can full of other cans and bottles. 

"Sounds good, thank you." I replied, smiling slightly. I was really trying for Lindsay's sake to be friendly with Kolby. He really wasn't a bad guy. Bad temper sometimes? Maybe. But don't we all have our moments. 

"Hannah, can you give us a second?" Lindsay asked, standing next to Kolby with her arm around his back. 

"Sure. I'll grab a drink and some food."

The two of them walked off towards the stairs of the deck by the driveway. Lindsay had been a little off. She wasn't her crazy outgoing self. Although she was still pretty upbeat. I was curious as to what was going on between the two of them, but I wouldn't pry. She would tell me if she wanted to. 

I took a water out of the cooler and sauntered over to the table with the food. Hot dogs and chicken were off the grill and looked mouth watering. I was about to plate up some pasta salad and chicken when I felt someone behind me. I turned around over my right shoulder to see Brantley standing there with a small smile playing on his lips. His green eyes scanning my paper plate. The silver rings still adorning both of his rough cut hands. The black baseball cap from the other night on top of his head. His beard a little longer than I remembered. 

"Eat up, I made plenty."

"Thank you, I will." I replied sheepishly, putting a little more on my plate. I stepped aside so that he could come up and get what he needed. Neither one of us speaking. I kept my eye on him as I finished up and walked over to an empty adirondack chair in the yard around where I assumed the fire would be a little later on. I placed my water on the ground next to me and sat down. I took a bite of the chicken. It was the best bbq chicken I had ever put in my mouth. I relished in the moment and savored every bite as I began to cut some more pieces.

"They call me the grill master." His voice horse, with a little arrogance mixed in.

I finished chewing and looked over to my right. "Is that so?" I asked, staring at Brantley seated a couple feet away.

"Yup, and by the sound of it, you will probably be calling me that too." He laughed a little harder. I didn't realize I was being so loud as I enjoyed my food. How embarassing. 

I ate the rest silently, taking a few swigs of water in between. Secretly praying that Lindsay and Kolby would hurry up and come back outside, I got up to throw my stuff away. 

"Hey, did you get food?" Lindsay's voice called out over the railing of the deck. Just in time.

"Yeah." I motioned to my empty plate.

She came down with Kolby in tow. She reached down and got a water for herself.

"No beer?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow for exaggeration.

"Nah, not right now." She brushed off my expression and grabbed my hand, pulling me up to the circle of chairs where I was eating earlier. She sat down in the chair Brantley had previously been in. I sat down next to her. 

She looked around for a second and then leaned in closer, whispering. " Word is Brantley is going to ask you on a date."

A/N: Kind of a filler chapter! I am trying to get this story to go in the direction I intended for it. It's not how I wanted it to start out, but I am just letting my writing flow. Hope you continue to like this story! Please vote, leave comments (nice only please) and watch for the next chapter soon!