Chapter 2: An Unexpected Visit

04.15.19

The night was silent. 

Slowly, the girl peered into the sky that was aglow, littered with glistening stars. It was a new moon, which was rather a pity — it could have added to the evening's beauty. The wind was calm as it blew against her untied hair. The sounds of varied vehicles were barely audible, unlike the constant crickets of insects she showed no concern to. The girl's arms were almost numb, her eyes bloodshot and puffy, and her tears were relentless.

A loud sigh escaped her lips as a certain blonde appeared in her mind. She remembered exactly what he had said to her. The thought of Adrien thinking she was a mere admirer broke her heart into millions of pieces. Being just a friend to him was bearable, but now he saw her as no one but a stranger who had admired him from afar. 

Marinette's thoughts were interrupted with a thump on her roof. She didn't know whether to be irritated, or curious. Her inquisitiveness gushed for her to turn around, but she just wanted to think and be miserable. 

"Princess?" She heard a male's voice. 

"Chat Noir?" Marinette looked behind her, clutching her fingers at the railings in shock.

The girl in pigtails was beyond surprised; she hadn't expected him to come here. He went down and jumped in front of her. The hero looked at her with...guilty eyes — as though it was his fault she was crying. 

They stood there staring at each other for a short while. 

Marinette remembered that this was the guy she shouted at, the guy she hurt, and the guy she always rejected. She immediately felt guilty.

The blunette ran to the hero, hugging him as the breeze carried her tears into the air"I'm so sorry!!" she shouted apologetically. 

"I-I don't understand, why are you sorry?" said the green-eyed hero, gingerly returning her hug. "To be honest, I should be saying that..." His voice grew shaky. 

"Why are you sorry?" she asked, multiple sniffs practically choking her. 

"Well, you're crying, because of a guy right? I'm sorry...your heart never deserved to be broken." Marinette released him from the tight embrace and looked up at him, his hands still perched on her hips. 

Chat Noir looked down at me, sympathy in his eyes. "I-I'm sorry..." he echoed. The two looked at each other again. She looked directly at his eyes. Marinette refused to admit it, but they were so beautiful. 

His eyes were electrifying yet they also looked calm, like an emerald in the middle of a meadow, full of wonderful greenery. She was near to melting on the spot. The way he looked at her made the girl's heart flutter. His smile could just brighten her whole day: in this case, night. He wiped away Marinette's tears and smiled sweetly.

"How did you know?" asked Marinette. It was odd that he knew it was another guy that made her feel this way. She felt his back stiffen at the sudden question. 

"I— er— I kinda have patrol, and I was in a tall house, then I saw the boy and everything. But I didn't hear much," he explained. 

Seems legit. 

They let go of each other and went to the railing. "So...if you don't mind me asking, what happened?" asked Chat Noir suddenly.

Marinette knew she couldn't say she liked Adrien...not to him at least. Sure, he was her friend. Marinette trusted him and all — but it's quite embarrassing. He might get the wrong idea of why she liked Adrien in the first place. Might as well lie, right?