"No, I do not think—"

Before she could complete her sentence, however, the two Hobbits stand on their feet with mischievous grins. "Challenge accepted!" is all they say before rushing off to cause mayhem. A little fearful for her wellbeing, Vera leaves quickly after their departure with her book in a hurry, then she makes her way to the gardens.

Whatever it is that Merry and Pippin had planned, she hoped it wouldn't actually make her faint. While Vera is strategic and knows very well when she has lost, she is also extremely competitive and with the two mischief-makers causing her trouble, it could only cause more turmoil for the trio and Rivendell. Since it is rather early in the morning, the sun rising at the nine o'clock hour, Vera admires how beautiful nature looks with the golden glow of the sun upon it. She takes this moment to cherish the surroundings and the view around her, wondering if she'll ever be departed from it and if so, then if she'll ever return.

Leaves start falling from the vast trees looming over the residents, a signal that autumn is approaching and it won't be long till winter. Admittedly, she had never experienced a winter as the water feels the same when she's in her mermaid form. Flowers close-in on each other to protect themself from the upcoming frost, yet still displays itself so beautifully. Sighing in content, she closes her eyes for a moment to feel the sensation of the wind against her skin. She wished to stay in that moment forever, in complete bliss, and completely oblivious to the dangers of Middle Earth.

But unfortunately, she is sent back to reality by the thud of a walking stick and a murmur near where she stood. Opening her eyes curiously, she continues down the stoned path only to reach a white bench with a man sitting on it.

Or rather, a Hobbit.

Vera swallows thickly, hoping that she didn't faint in the presence of another creature of Middle Earth as she makes an effort to introduce herself to the Hobbit. Unlike the three she had met before, this Hobbit is old and grey, age catching up to him as he mumbles about a lost quill.

"Hello," Vera starts squeakily. She is going to overcome her fear of Hobbits even if it's the last thing she does. The Hobbit stops his investigation for his lost pen to look up at the angel in his presence. "Do you need help?"

"Oh, yes, dear," the Hobbit greets back briskly. "I seem to have lost something of mine. A– a quill. If you could be so kind..." he trails off, moving his head sideways to try and find the object.

Chuckling, Vera walks closer, sitting down next to the Hobbit and reaching for his hair. Grabbing the feathered quill, she points it in his face with a beam. "This quill?"

"O– oh, yes," the Hobbit mutters, surprise in his features. He laughs. "I seem to have forgotten it in my hair. Old age, I suppose. Strange feeling it is. What's your name, my dear?"

Politely, Vera smiles. "Vera Adelaide."

The Hobbit hums as if trying to let the name settle in his mind. With a click, he lights up. "So Gandalf was right, there's a princess in our midst!"

A nervous chuckle leaves Vera's lips, remembering the same name uttered out of Sam's mouth. "How much did Gandalf tell you exactly?" she queries, hopeful that not too much was revealed.

Much to her relief, the Hobbit shakes his head. "Nothing much, my Lady, actually, all he said was you are out at sea, a lot. I suppose you traveled here by ship, then?" he asks, his eyes glistening with interest. Unable to stop herself, Vera nods with a smile.

"How interesting, truly," he comments, his eyes gazing out as if reliving old memories. Vera could only imagine what adventures a Hobbit could've done. Snapping out of it quickly, he extends his hand towards Vera with a smile, "Oh, how rude of me. I have not introduced myself. I'm Bilbo Baggins."