CHAPTER 12 : SUSAN

Whatever you say, your Highness. I can't help but feel a little excited at Jase's words - my profusedly crimsoned cheeks are a lucid proof of it. I haven't witnessed them but I can surely feel them burning hot as Lethe.

I am about to make a witty comeback - one that would certainly deterge that ridiculous grin of his, that I have actually grown quite fond of, off of his face - but I am quickly distracted by an image of a slender figure trying desperately to role as the Sun in the Copernican system.

Sooner than a second, the image - that had somehow hacked into my very first cranial nerve - zooms out to reveal Jase standing quite near her. Well, it's actually her who's pranced her way closer to him.

I can feel the quanta of jealousy-driven energy jumping off of the membrane of each and every cell in my body. I break the carefully beaded sentence that I had prepared for Jason - the words accelerating downwards into an imaginary, soi-disant oblivion. Instead, I continue our dialogue by issuing him an order. Oh, and stay a minimum of 13 feet away from that girl with the stupid curly hair. She's evil.

I state this as a matter-of-factly, completely serious. Oh, you mean, Gina. What a stupid name! I don't mean for it to sound so harsh but I just can't help it. It's easy for him, though. He's never ever shown or done any act that would drive me to categorize him as possessive. In fact, he's the exact opposite of what I am: level-headed. I bet it's probably because I'm a nine-years old munchkin. Doesn't he get it, this is exactly why I'm like this.

I cut off our link instantaneously so that he doesn't feel my moopy state. I turn it back on just in time for my disheveled thoughts to order. He doesn't notice anything. He too caught up in trying to tease me.

I can feel him smiling through the matebond. He must look quite queer in public. Strangely, that's what exactly initiates the muscles at the corners of my mouth to twitch - evincing my slight amusement.

You're completely right. It IS stupid. He gives in to my tiff - with a welcoming ear-to-ear smile. How can he be so oblivious to his surroundings? I shake my head for practically no reason.

This is the kind of moment when I feel blessed to have a mate - such a caring mate - in front of whom I can be myself without the fear of the world - being as oblivious about my surroundings as he himself is. This is when I drop all my barriers of otiose privacy and let the-

"What in the damned hell are you doing?" The harsh and vitriolic tone of a male voice booms all around - the caustic fumes enveloping me from all sides. I flinch slightly - desperate to get away from the menace. I break the mind-link - completely this time - with Jase.

Even as I break it, I can sense his anger emanating in huge bulks. Too scared and exhausted to even see, I let him deal with his troubles - I have enough of my own.