Chapter Four

In an effort to distract himself from the crevasses of his own head, Will turned to the window in his apartment, to watch the time outside pass him by. In contrast to the bright weather that had occupied earlier, the clouds overhead now began to turn grey. He watched the sky with nervous anticipation, waiting to hear a knock on the door.

Curled up on his couch, peering out his window and into the darkening skies, Will couldn't seem to get comfortable. The ache of waiting in for time to pass had never come easy to Will, especially in the isolation of his lonely apartment. He picked at his cast, busying his hands with any task he could find. The weather outside and the darkening clouds felt like the only distraction to his own thoughts.

Will was currently awaiting the arrival of Nico, who agreed to help Will study for an exam when Will had voiced his growing distress over the test earlier that day.

But now couldn't seem to ease himself; not until he heard the long-awaited knock at the door.

He opened the door just as sheets of rain began to pour out of the clouds. Nico stood in the door frame, holding a jacket over his head, in an attempt to shield himself from the icy rain.

"Looks like I got here just in time," Nico noted with a smile.

"You'd better come in before you catch a cold from the rain," Will laughed, inviting Nico in. The cold feeling of isolation began to melt away.

As Nico stepped inside Will's apartment he noticed how Will Solace seemed to be written across each wall; every corner of the apartment seemed to reflect Will, from the way his space was neatly ordered and maintained, to the anatomy textbook that was left open on the counter.

"Nice place you got," Nico complimented.

"It's not too bad," Will responded, settling down at the counter.

Nico almost felt intimidated by the house. He took a moment to look around the room before taking a seat next to Will.

"So what do you need for this test? You got flashcards or something to study with?" Nico asked.

"Oh well, actually, this test is different than most tests. More, uh, physical, I guess? There are two parts, and I've already taken the written portion. The next part is focused for my internship and basically, if I pass, it means I get to actually help out in the clinic, not just shadow doctors," Will explained. Nico nodded along.

"So what do you need to do?"

"Basically just show the doctors I can adequately examine and check someone for injuries. Basically give a check-up."

"That's it? Dude, you're so set. I mean I'll still help, but I don't see why you're so worried."

"I'll feel better after I practice," Will said, "Wanna be my patient for the afternoon?"

"I will not accept any other doctor, actually," Nico confirmed. Will laughed as he reached into his bag, grabbing supplies and tools he'd need for Nico's mock check-up.

"Woah, they let you keep all that stuff?" Nico asked when he saw the bag of medical supplies ranging from stethoscopes to medical tape to a blood pressure test.

"No, actually, all this stuff used to be my dad's. He gave me all these old supplies when I was a kid, and I've held on to them ever since. He was a doctor," Will explained as he hung the stethoscope around his neck.

"Was?" Nico wondered aloud.

"He left when I was younger. But it's not a big deal, it was years ago, and I'd say my mom did a pretty good job raising me on her own."