Chapter Three

Will could have lived in this moment for the rest of conceivable time. He could have made of home out of the shitty trap music bumping through the house and the smell of cheap liquor on Nico's breath. In the corner of the room, at a small house party, Will felt invisible to all the eyes of the world, except for Nico's. Will wouldn't have wanted it any other way. He found himself longing for the sole attention of Nico, and tonight, in a half drunken haze, Will supposed he had found it.

He found himself huddled close to Nico as they passed a bottle between themselves. Will didn't normally consider himself a drinker, but tonight he made an exception.

The party was slow, boring even. But Will didn't really care, so as long as he was with Nico, he could make some fun out of it.

Nico turned to him. He looked like his head was swimming.

"Hey, you wanna get out of here?" He muttered.

"Uh, sure," Will agreed.

The two tripped over their own feet leaving the house, slipping out without notice. Stepping out of the house they were met with cool nighttime air that bit at their skin, and a moon that shone on their faces. Neither of them had a clue where they were going; they were just satisfied with the fact that their legs kept moving and the scenery around them kept changing. Their footsteps and the laughter that escaped from their mouths echoed down alleyways as gravel scraped beneath their shoes. Subtle rays from the moon and the sleeping city's remnant lights reflected onto their faces, leaving traces of visibility, just enough to tease the other with the sliver of an image of the other's face.

Their laughter echoed down the empty alleyways and open roads.

"God, it's so quiet. You forget how much noise you listen to in a day," Will noticed. His heart felt content, happy in the company of another. He found himself becoming fond of being around Nico. He enjoyed the unique, unbridled energy he carried himself with.

He just liked being around Nico.

"Yeah... it's peaceful," Nico admired the stars that blanketed the sky. His chin was tilted up while he studied the sky. The pair were both swimming in the numb feeling the cheap alcohol had supplied them with. Nico still had a bottle in his hand, and something in the back of Will's mind asked 'isn't that illegal?'

He lost focus before he could remember an answer.

Nico smiled as he shoved his hands into his pockets, "Y'know this reminds me of when I was still in high school, years ago, and some nights, I just couldn't sleep, because I was mad at my dad, or whatever. I can never sleep when I'm mad like that, y'know? I'd always just sit there, waiting to fall asleep but I'd just feel bad instead. So I'd get up and sneak out my window and wonder around town instead."

"Why?" Will asked, "To make your dad mad, or?"

"No, it wasn't like to spite him or anything, I just wanted out. I needed to get out... to reel me back in. Does that make sense?"

Will could begin to feel the alcohol making its way to his head, "Yeah. I get what you mean."

Their free will's carried them to new places, away from the industrial city, closer to the quiet suburban neighborhood. Will felt a pang of nostalgia. Nico felt a contrasting emotion, one of longing, a deep desire he'd been chasing for years.

Will wasn't sure where their tired feet had wondered to, he wasn't sure if he recognized his surroundings or not. When he felt the ground soften beneath him, he lolled his head towards the ground, letting his eye gaze down, to see he had found his way to a patch of grass, or maybe it was a park. He let himself sink to the ground, to sit, and rest his feet for a while. Nico trailed after, his eyes still glued to the twinkling lights above.