Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

I inhale a deep breath and let it out as I open the door to the philosophy classroom. Walking in, I place my essay on the large mahogany desk up front before making my way over to my seat.

"Hey, shoe lace," Trent greets and I toss my notebook down on the desk next to his, sending him a cheeky smile.

"Hi, tent."

His eyebrows go up in surprise. "You remember?"

"That I groped you? Yeah, I remember." I plop down in my seat and shake my head. "I'm so sorry about that by the way. I don't know what I was thinking." I shake my head again before reaching up and running a hand through my hair. Trent drops his hand flat on his desk and opens his mouth to reply, but then squeaking of chalk against the chalkboard snaps everyone's heads forward as Professor Collins starts the lecture. I open my notebook, writing the date in the top right corner, while Trent leans over in the corner of my eye.

"Who said I didn't like it?" The words are brushed up against the tip of my ear and the heat of them travels down the back of my neck while Trent slowly leans back in his chair.

****

"So I was thinking..." Trent starts as we all begin to pack up our things.

"Yeah?" I inquire when he doesn't automatically continue and pick up my notebook.

"Since the holidays are coming up and after finals we get to go home for winter break," I nod walking ahead of him down the risers, "and since we go to the same grocery store that must mean we live kind of close, so I was wondering," Trent pauses again and catches the door before it closes, holding it open for me. "If you needed a ride back home?"

I raise my brow at him. "Is this your way of trying to find out where I live?"

"Pft, what?" He sputters. "No." I let out a laugh and continue to walk past him towards the exit of the building.

"I didn't mean it like that," he says once again catching up to me and holding open the door. "I was just thinking that carpooling is... better for the environment." He sends me a wink and I shake my head before stepping outside.

"Well, how considerate of you, but I have my own car." The cool December wind whips past us and I hug my notebook closer to my chest in response.

"Ah, well, suit yourself." Trent grins as we walk down the steps and onto the pathway. "When all the polar bears are dying in Antarctica, I'll know who to blame."

"Hey!" I yell defensively. "Don't blame me for killing the polar bears. Everyone contributes to global warming."

"Well," he shrugs, tilting his head from side to side. "It's the little things that count, like carpooling every once in awhile, but I guess you don't want to do that so some biology major you are."

My mouth drops. "The study of biology and the environment are two different things and I already told you I'm only majoring in biology to become a physical therapist."

"Well, what about the physical therapy of polar bears?" He folds his arms across his chest and I slap a hand to my forehead before sliding it down the rest of my face.

"You're really annoying, you know that?" I turn to face him once more and a grin stretches across his lips.

"That's not what you were saying on Saturday." My mouth drops again, but I quickly close it. Trent continues to stare back at me with his green eyes dancing in amusement and his grin still in place. After a few seconds, I finally let out a frustrated breath.