Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

I stare at the clear circular door of the dorm building washing machine and watch as the clothing spins around and around. I check the small digital numbers on the screen in the top right corner seeing there's only a few minutes left.

"So are you guys like together now?" Stephanie asks blowing a big bubble with her gum and it pops with a resounding snap that echoes around the small room.

"Um..." I trail off with my eyes still focused on the washing machine.

"Oh come' on," Megan drawls waving her phone around as she's propped up on top of the other washing machine. "You guys have been dating for a few weeks and he took you out for Valentines' Day. You're totally together."

"And you're totally not helping," Savannah says throwing a purple t-shirt at Megan's head and Megan quickly rips it off, sending her a glare.

"Well, don't you at least consider him your boyfriend?" Stephanie asks hopping up onto the dryer.

"No, actually, I don't," I say as the washing machine beeps. I push the off button before going over and grabbing my white basket.

"What? Why not?" Steph asks as I push her legs away from the dryer door and pull the clothes that are already in there out and into the basket.

I shrug. "Because we haven't made anything official and I don't think we really need to just yet."

"Oh come' on," Megan groans again, the purple shirt now folded in her lap and I stand back up to transfer the clothes from the washing machine into the dryer.

"I actually think that's a good idea, Lacie," Savannah says folding a pair of jeans. "Labels are overrated and tend to overcomplicate things."

I send her an appreciative smile. "Thank you."

"Well, anyway," Stephanie jumps off the dryer, "I have no idea how you fit into these jeans." She picks up a pair of my jeans from the basket and puts her arm through one of the legs. "They literally fit my arm."

"Give me those." I rip them away from her and she laughs.

"No, seriously though, you all don't know what it's like to have boobs." She brings her hands up to cup them for a second before glancing behind her, "or an ass." She rips the jeans back from me as I'm in the middle of folding them and brings them up to her hips. "I'm mean seriously they reach the middle of my shins."

"Hey!" I rip the jeans back from her again, "Excuse me for being an average height and not a five foot ten model."

"Aw, why thank you." Stephanie flicks her hair over her shoulder while I shake my head and pick up another item from the basket. Steph bends down as well to help fold while we wait for the rest of the clothes to dry.

"Um, Meg..." Savannah trails off and we all glance over at her. "Care to explain this?" We watch as she slowly pulls out a cheetah print bra lined with thick black lace from their basket and Stephanie's gum flies out of her mouth. Megan quickly rips the bra away from Savannah and clutches it tightly in her lap.

"Megan Delilah Lancaster is there something you'd like to tell us?" Stephanie asks and Megan's face turns bright red.

"What?" She shrugs. "Sometimes you need to have at least one bra in your closet that is a little more... feminine than others."

"Feminine?" Savannah scoffs. "I was thinking of a different word." Megan slaps her arm and we all laugh. It quickly fades when some other girls walk into the room and Megan quickly hides her bra under her shirt.